UCLA materials S/E

spectastic

Hi! I've been lurking on the Materials PhD thread for a while but joined so I could respond to your question.

I also applied to UCLA MSE and got accepted a couple of weeks ago to the PhD program but wasn't able to attend the open house because of time/money issues. I haven't heard anything about funding - there was nothing in the acceptance email - so I emailed one of the faculty in charge. I haven't heard anything in response so will probably send another email this week.

I did talk with one faculty member on the phonewho I'm interested in working with and who was also assigned as my academic advisor. She said she was "considering" taking students into her group next year...not entirely sure what that means. I was initially really excited about the program but am slightly questioning now.

I hope this helps you.

thanks for taking the time to respond.

I was in the same batch of acceptance emails as you. So far, I've contacted all 4 of my POI's, and none of them have expressed too much (if any) interest in taking new students. On the other hand, the grad coordinator assures me that I'll be able to find an adviser, but I'm not quite sure if she means to keep going after these professors, or get assigned to a different lab. I certainly don't want to end up in a group that does research that I'm completely unfamiliar with.