Asian Studies

mungdaddy

Guest taobenli

Hi, there-

I am waiting on one East Asian Languages and Cultures PhD program (Indiana), and also am waiting to hear from 4 anthropology programs (I applied to 5 but since I got rejected from one I'm pretending I never applied there!).

I study Korea and China, but will focus primarily on Korea. What's your area of study? And where have you applied? (I am currently an M.A. student at the University of Washington).

taobenli

My area is China and I have applied to MA programs at Stanford, Ohio State, Duke, Penn and UMich. I am so nervous about not getting into school. I teach Latin and Asian Studies at a high school and I am ready to study more and really specialize in one area.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can chill out? How competitive are these programs?

Guest taobenli

Hi, mungdaddy-

Of the schools you applied to, the only one I applied to when I was applying for China and Korea Studies M.A. programs was Michigan. I did get in, but with no aid (which I attribute partially to my dismal GRE scores, although I don't know how much they have for M.A. students there). I didn't feel like my application was particularly well put together, so I'm sure you'll get in to at least one of those places. Money seems to be more the issue for M.A.s.

I wish you could tell me how to chill out, too! (:

Guest LinShiwen

So far I know I was accepted to OSU M.A. (no word on aid), but I heard unofficially that I got into Cornell PhD. Rejected from Harvard. I am still waiting on Princeton (they decided tomorrow the 28th), WashU, and Stanford.

I study Modern Chinese lit, and have very good stats, though I hear EAS programs are extrememly competitive (lots of applicants, not so many spots) and there is an element of luck no matter where you apply.

My area is China and I have applied to MA programs at Stanford, Ohio State, Duke, Penn and UMich. I am so nervous about not getting into school. I teach Latin and Asian Studies at a high school and I am ready to study more and really specialize in one area.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can chill out? How competitive are these programs?

Hey -- you're applying to my alma mater! So exciting. I came out of UMich as an undergraduate Asian Studies major, and have been very successful with my East Asian Studies applications this year. I was accepted to my two PhD programs, and rejected from my two masters programs (though technically Harvard's RSEA said they would issue me an acceptance if I could show that I could pay for it, otherwise they had to reject me by the rules of the GSAS -- a point that continues to vex me to no end, even with better options on the table).

I do not have any information on the competitiveness of those MA programs, though I think you're applying to a good array for China-related Studies. Do you have (a) particular subfield(s) you're hoping to explore? In this small field of ours, I strongly believe that a lot depends on what you bring into the field and what kind of fresh, creative scholarship you're able to generate, moreso than the cloudy, unrankable "prestige" of any institution -- they're all strong programs that you've listed, but they're all good in different areas, after all.

One thing I would add, to help you mentally prepare (though this may not do much to calm you down), is that funding at the masters level is particularly rare, unless you can obtain outside scholarships. So, for example, would you be prepared to pay $50,000 a year to go to Stanford's MA program, for example, a program from which students and professors have given me very mixed responses? ... I was considering Duke's MA program myself, but for a variety of reasons crossed it off my list. I've been told that UMich's CCS program can be very generous with funding. I don't know how that process works, but that was one reason my old professors urged me to apply, though I eventually decided that (a) I really should leave my undergraduate institution for grad school, and (B) they didn't have enough faculty there doing modern China, though I truly value and appreciate the strong background I've gained from my undergraduate studies there.

FWIW, my undergrad courses and advisors at UMich and three years of living abroad after graduation got me into Berkeley and UChicago for EALC PhD programs, so there's something to be said for the quality of my education at UMich.

Best of luck to you and your applications. Keep us posted!

Guest schoolisfun

Anybody accepted Penn EALC PhD?

Any accepted to Harvard MA in RSEA (esp w/ "financial award")?

If so, are you thinking of accepting?

Any info / gossip on these programs?

Guest schoolisfun

The secretary hasn't replied to my emails either? It is truly puzzling, I wonder what's going on over there???

I'm not sure but having paid my application fee is the only reason I am even continuing the process. I have just found that everything from lack of response (I have sent THREE transcripts so far.) to the unorganization of the website has given me strong reservations about attending there. That, of course is assuming I get in, which I find highly unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

mungdaddy,

You can check your application status from the Ohio State Graduate School website. There's a link to "Application Status" (I think it's on the left) and the you just put it in your info. I checked it for another OSU program and found out I'd been admitted but my acceptance letter had gotten lost in the mail.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use