Fletcher interview experiences?

GoIR

Hello all!

Finally, It's time to decide!

....but here's one person still waiting(that started sounding sad since last week or so...lol) and trying!

I'm waitlisted at Fletcher. Got into a few other schools that i am pretty happy with, but Fletcher is my 1st choice for the fit(they offer the EXACT THING i wanna learn and do), so i scheduled an interview. I read their homepage, and still only have a very vague idea of what'll be like. If there's anyone who's done an interview with Fletcher, could you please :D share your experience? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Say, what to wear(do i wear suits?), how long it is, how many people come in, what's the general ambience(really casual or rather formal?), what they ask(your SOP or resume? or something more personal and not already on your file?), etc.

Thank you in advance for any comments!!!!

Hey GoIr,

I'm in the same boat and was wait listed too. I interviewed with Fletcher prior to applying however, and believe that it made the difference that ultimately tipped the scales in favor of the wait list over the lesser desired option :). The interviewing style is somewhere between professional and informal. That being said, you should remember that its really a forum for conveying anything that you feel didn't come across in your application. Sometimes being able to explain your goals without a word limit can help shed some light on you as a candidate. You need to bring a resume before your interview so that your interviewer can review it ahead of time. The dress code is "relaxed formal". (for example: I wore slacks and a a button down shirt without a tie). Fletcher prides itself on its relaxed, eclectic atmosphere and diversity. Show them how bringing you on will help add to that mix. i.e., why are you Fletcher material -think personality not academic horsepower.I was asked specifically about interesting points and experiences on my resume (i lived in China for 4 years, taught English, studied Mandarin, etc.) Make sure you convey what you want to do professionally and how Fletcher can take you there. Think of the interview as an expanded personal statement opportunity without sounding like you rehearsed. Hope that helps, I'm off to Elliott's Open house tomorrow. Good luck!

I can relate my interview to you. I signed up for one after I did a tour back in the fall. I wore khaki pants and a button-down shirt and a tie, but no jacket. Bring a copy of the resume, since the interviewer will read that before asking questions. It is a one-on-one interview that takes place in one of the smaller rooms by the admissions office. They will ask you basic questions like a job interview. It is very important to take your time when answering, even if it means taking a few seconds to think out your answer. You will then get the opportunity to ask questions of them. The interview probably isn't a make or break thing, but it can be useful for both the interviewer and yourself. For me, after my experience with the interviewer, I decided not to even apply, because I got a very bad impression from him and although it was probably unfair to judge the entire school off of this one person, it definitely turned me off to Fletcher, although looking at my admissions decisions, I probably wouldn't have gotten in anyways.

Thanks a lot for your comments! I'm a girl, so i won't be wearing a button-down shirt, but I got the idea! ;) it's good to have two rather contrasting views and your comments certainly helped. Best of luck to both of you in wherever you decide to go!

IRGrrrad, you're in the exact same boat as I am. waitlisted af Fletcher and considering GW(with$) -What a tough situation to be in- and you know what, i visited the GW open house too! might have seen you somewhere. Have you made up your mind?

I was at the GW Open House too! It took me setting foot in DC to realize that Fletcher, though a great school, is really dinged by being located in Boston. I don't think I want to position myself for a PhD at this point and you can't beat the professional orientation of GW's cirriculum. I'm sold!