How likely is it that research can be done in two years?

impatientWaiting

I'm trying to make the decision between a "courses-only" (10 classes) and a research (6 classes + research) path for my masters degree. I would love to do research as I enjoy that more than taking courses, but my concern is that I wouldn't be able to finish my research in the two years it would take to finish the course work. My scholarship will only sponsor me if I am a full time student taking courses towards completion of my degree, which definitely won't go past the two years.

It was suggested to me to find a lab to work in on the side, not as something towards my degree, but I'm assuming that wouldn't work out since the positions will probably be saved for people that need it for their degree.

Any relative experiences or advice?

I'm trying to make the decision between a "courses-only" (10 classes) and a research (6 classes + research) path for my masters degree. I would love to do research as I enjoy that more than taking courses, but my concern is that I wouldn't be able to finish my research in the two years it would take to finish the course work. My scholarship will only sponsor me if I am a full time student taking courses towards completion of my degree, which definitely won't go past the two years.

It was suggested to me to find a lab to work in on the side, not as something towards my degree, but I'm assuming that wouldn't work out since the positions will probably be saved for people that need it for their degree.

Any relative experiences or advice?

If you like research than go for it. Nothing worse than making yourself miserable when you could be happy doing what you want. Generally unless you're proposing unique research that your lab isn't equipped to do will you run into problems with time issues but most advisers have one or two projects in mind that they need done, maybe helping someone with an aspect of their dissertation or a quick question that needs to be answered. Worst comes to worst you could always try and transfer into the PhD program to finish off your research. Even if you decide to leave you'd write up what you'd done so far and someone else could wrap up or help you publish. 

Advice given to me as a masters student who plans to apply to PhDs, is that publications with a lab are as helpful as a thesis and then you'll get done on time. I took this advice, found a position with a group, and do around 30 hours a week of research in addition to 3 classes per semester. It is busy but I am REALLY enjoying it. I will definitely have publications before applying to PhDs.

Masters students aren't usually expected to do the same amount of research as a PhD student in the same group. What I mean is that advisors will usually give them smaller/shorter projects. A good PI will give you a project that can be completed in 2 years. I would say don't worry about not finishing it - just go for it. Even if you don't finish the project in the allotted time, a project that is working will be passed on to another student to finish off, and you'll retain authorship credit (and glowing recommendation letters from the PI to attest to the fact that you got a project off the ground). I say go for it! 

Thank you all for your replies! Makes me feel better about leaning towards the research path.

Would it be normal to write and present a thesis for research that may not be fully completed?

I'm sure I can get this information from an advisor, but I actually haven't accepted my offer yet (making sure the finances are in order first) so I don't really have access to someone. I really appreciate all the help.

Defining "completed" in the sciences is really difficult. ;) There is always more work you could do.

You would need to have a conversation with your prospective advisor about what they expect from their Masters students (universities usually keep copies of defended theses online, so a bit of Google searching can probably turn up the pdfs from groups you are interested in). 

Most supervisors wouldn't like it if you dropped everything you were doing as 24 months exactly, handed in a thesis, and was never seen in the lab again...but you will be able to negotiate with the reasonable ones the exact quantities of data you will need to successfully defend.

Many schools I looked at had examples of masters student project titles online, and I'm sure you could ask for them if your school doesn't. For example, people in my field tend to do capstone projects or internships if they're earning a professional degree or use that time to write a thesis or report if they're planning on doing research, so titles of student projects cleared up a lot about how people got to spend their time. Schools that offer all those options need to be prepared to answer questions about what a masters student typically does, how many finish in time, etc. (And that should tell you something if they can't answer-- but I bet they can.)

Even without an advisor picked out, there should be someone in a student coordinator position or even the admissions contact who can answer a question like this since it's a big part of your decision. Since it sounds like you don't have a potential advisor yet, you should also ask about how students in your program find them. That can really affect how quickly you're able to get started, or at least focus your class reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you planning on getting a job or going after a PhD?

My MA cohort in the literature field had a thesis option that they were discouraged from following (faculty very much enjoyed not having to deal with theses). Several of those who applied to PhD programs regretted not doing so.

So, in addition to all of the great advice everyone else had, I'd suggest that you check into the relevance of thesis for your future plans, if at all possible. It's spring, so your (if you're still there) your undergrad U ought to be having career fairs. You can talk with some of the people hiring in your field. Pull some PhD universities out of a hat and browse their sites. Contact one of your undergrad profs or the PI at your grad school and ask.

Obviously it depends on the type of research. If you keep it as simple as possible (one or two experiments), it can be done. But, as a general rule, research always takes longer than you initially think it will. So if you plan a 1-year project, it could easily take 2 years.