Full funding at Ford Public Policy vs. JHU SAIS

Blue719

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope this goes well: I recently received a full tuition scholarship + generous living stipend + healthcare to UMich Ford, and an acceptance to SAIS with $0 aid (I'd be taking out more than $100K). I'd love to attend SAIS considering that it's one of the best schools in IR and heavily quant. I say this because after my two years, I'd ideally want to move back to CA (where I'm currently located) and work in the private sector or in some sort of a public-private partnership position (I'm thinking corporate social responsibility). I know the UMich deal is amazing, and Ford is a great school, however SAIS sends a greater portion of its' grads to the private sector (44%) versus UMich's 5%. Moreover, I worry that if I attend UMich, my network won't extend farther than Detroit. For any UMich folks on here, what's the network like in California? I think I'm also biased toward SAIS because I lived in DC for three years, are have been drinking the kool aid quite a bit.  

I hope someone tells me I'm an idiot and to run with the UMich offer because it's such a great deal and school! Plus, everyone seems to really enjoy the quality of life in Ann Arbor. 

Thoughts? 

I can't specifically tell you anything about Ford, since I've never even been to the state of Michigan, but I just glanced back at their employment stats. In 2013, only 19% of all internships were in Michigan, a figure which includes at least several fellows funded by the City of Detroit. 6% were in CA, while 32% were in DC and 35% abroad. To me, those numbers make it seem like if you want Cali, you can get a CA internship. Same for DC. 

I think the reason SAIS sends so many grads to the private sector is because of the debt they're carrying. For $100k+, you're considering minimum monthly payments of over $1,200. I have friends in law school with that kind of debt, but they have a shot at repaying it if they can land a $160,000/yr Big Law job. Do you have a shot at repaying that with a SAIS degree?

Congrats on the full ride - that's amazing!  I'm trying to decide between SAIS (no money) and Fletcher (enough money to make it count, but not a full ride), so I kind of feel your pain.

I mean, not only are you getting a full ride, but you're getting a living stipend - you're getting paid to go there!  You'd be sitting pretty for two years.  You would really have a lot of options in terms of what you could pursue after your degree.  I feel like a fair amount of students are hindered by enormous debt, and I am inclined to believe @pavlik in that SAIS students go private because they need the higher salaries to pay back loans.

If Ford was a third-rate program and couldn't get you where you want to go, then I think the choice would be easier for you.  As it is, it's an outstanding program and they are really giving you the red carpet treatment.  I wouldn't pass that up!

I agree with uncgrad2009.  I think a better question is: 

Would you rather spend the next 20-30 years after grad school paying off your debt or come out of school debt-free and in a position to take on any job (no matter the pay) you want so you can get to doing what you love, faster?  Both are great programs, and after a few years of work experience under your belt, the difference between UMichigan & Johns Hopkins in reputation is going to be inconsequential. 

Here is some perspective from a funding thread that someone started: 

From browsing a few other threads from this time last year, it seems that one person was even advised by the SAIS financial aid office to accept her other offer from Fletcher for 1/2 tuition over SAIS with $0. 

I was in the same boat last year between one of the best public programs with a full ride and some little funding in SAIS and GTown, I decided to go with the full ride. I do not repent in any way my decision. My school has amazing professors, I have had great work opportunities both wotk wise and travel wise and at the same time I can live in an apartment close to school, have an ok social life (will not say amazing as it is grad school and one has to study a lot sometimes) and not have to worry about debt. Furthermore the thing that scared me the most of not being in DC was lack of work opportunities, i have learned that even though Austin is small and thus has like only 2 think tanks, some NGOs and a few State Government offices, they aslo have a lot less people applying and thus most internships are paid internships and you are not competing against thousands of candidates every time plus you can always just do stuff in DC over the summer..... Last year i asked a professor at GTown and he said to take LBJ's money. Michigan is a great school, well recognized abroad and within the US (in non policy circles even more recognized than SAIS probably), it has an amazing University life and one of the best programs in the US. Honestly, if it wasn't because I come from a tropical country and 4 years in Upstate NY was enough to kill any little love for snow I would have applied there and gone there. Take the money, the SAIS name might have a marginal higher effect in your income than the UMich one(then again they have about 450 people per class and thus  you are competing with more for professors attention) but marginal is not worth 150k dollars.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope this goes well: I recently received a full tuition scholarship + generous living stipend + healthcare to UMich Ford, and an acceptance to SAIS with $0 aid (I'd be taking out more than $100K). I'd love to attend SAIS considering that it's one of the best schools in IR and heavily quant. I say this because after my two years, I'd ideally want to move back to CA (where I'm currently located) and work in the private sector or in some sort of a public-private partnership position (I'm thinking corporate social responsibility). I know the UMich deal is amazing, and Ford is a great school, however SAIS sends a greater portion of its' grads to the private sector (44%) versus UMich's 5%. Moreover, I worry that if I attend UMich, my network won't extend farther than Detroit. For any UMich folks on here, what's the network like in California? I think I'm also biased toward SAIS because I lived in DC for three years, are have been drinking the kool aid quite a bit.  

I hope someone tells me I'm an idiot and to run with the UMich offer because it's such a great deal and school! Plus, everyone seems to really enjoy the quality of life in Ann Arbor. 

Thoughts? 

Dude! Serious?

From someone who goes to Michigan, has been here, and found it to be generally a miserable experience AND is in a similar (choosing grad school) situation as you... take the money. I'd even stay for a full ride to Ford. Debt free is the way to be!

Oh man, definitely feel stupid, and much more secure in my decision after posting this thread. I guess I was a bit nervous because all I've known in CA and DC. Many thanks for helping me see the light!