Now I Must Decide...

armchairette

I am heading home from visiting School Y (I think I've already let slip the specific school on here, but for now, I'm sticking w/School Y).  I really enjoyed meeting the faculty and the current students.  Going into this process, this school was probably tied for my 1st choice based on research interests and foci alone.  I also knew that it wasn't the most well known or highest ranked program.  But, it really seemed like the absolute best fit.

Except.

I'm currently in a very well-regarded MA program where we are pushed hard.  As MAs we are expected to present at conferences regularly and publishing and research opportunities are common.  The PhDs in my program are required to publish frequently and to present often--most do both at least twice a year.  We are also expected to teach--either for the university or in the community--as part of our program.  I love my current program, but can't stay for the PhD for two reasons: (a) I did my undergrad in the same program (so academic/professional suicide) and (B) no one on faculty is doing the type of research I'm interested in.  I'm also not certain I need 2-4 more years of a largely pedagogically focused program.  I've done quite well in my program, maintaining a 3.81 (1 B my 1st semester screwed my 4.0 chances), having a GAship throughout, and working on research with my advisor.  My GRE scores weren't stellar--well, my verbal and AW were great, but my maths wasn't; so, I thought I might not even get into a program--not actually be accepted to all 3 I applied for.  I definitely never expected to be highly sought after by any program.

Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly impressed by the current PhD students I encountered at School Y.  They were lovely, nice, and pleasant...but they weren't particularly active presenters or publishers.  Even the 2nd and 3rd years.  I'm afraid of getting into a "big fish/small pond" situation and having that hurt me professionally--or academically.  Particularly, as I found the one PhD seminar I was able to observe to be covering material I encountered the 1st semester of my MA program.  Maybe I caught a bad day of class?  Encountered the less zealous students?  This program has made it clear that, not only do they really want me, I'm the only new PhD student they are seriously considering for the Fall semester.  They actually voted on my admission and fellowship offer while I was there--and flat out told me the positive results.  They also have some pretty sweet toys--though, one tech they bragged about I consider to be utter bunk.

So, now I'm completely confused.  My other options are School X which won't make a funding offer unless I accept first (and have been general d*x) or School Z which is in the least desired location--one I cannot visit before making a decision.  School X and Z are bigger names both in terms of laypersons and those in my field, but both programs are through Colleges of Ed (they are PhDs, though, not EdDs.) rather than Arts & Sciences or Liberal Arts.  And it snows at School Z--which this Southern girl might not handle well.  On the other hand, I have deep family ties to School Z and to the area.

Any thoughts or advice, guys and gals?

I would focus on the advisor and the research fit. Nothing you've written says anything about that, so I don't know whether School X, Y, or Z makes the most sense in that regard. FWIW, I decided not to go to a school where I got a similar vibe from the students as what you got from School Y and ended up going to a school that I didn't have the opportunity to visit (but I'd previously met the POI so that was not a problem).

I would focus on the advisor and the research fit. Nothing you've written says anything about that, so I don't know whether School X, Y, or Z makes the most sense in that regard. FWIW, I decided not to go to a school where I got a similar vibe from the students as what you got from School Y and ended up going to a school that I didn't have the opportunity to visit (but I'd previously met the POI so that was not a problem).

Thanks!