Bad grades in first semester in CS Phd

Hey guys,

I would like to hear your opinion on my problem. I am a first year Phd in Computer Science and I scored an average GPA under 3.0

in the first semester (I took 3 courses, in one of them I scored a 'C'). 

There are some reasons for me being in that situation, beyond the obvious ones (first time exposure in US grading system, being away my country), however I would say that my biggest fault was time management. I spent too much time on research and while studying hard for midterms, I simply could not write good grades. My hands were shaking each time the clock was ticking.

Apart that, I did a really bad selection of courses because I took courses that I literally knew nothing so that I could learn new things - this didn't work out for me. Finally, I had to be hospitalized twice just before the final exams and for two weeks I could not even walk. However it's not that I was doing great before that.

I know that many people had to surpass these things and did much better so I don't want to make excuses - I just want to give the whole picture. Now things are (much) better, I took two courses in my field and I will probably score two A's (I still can't score perfect midterms though).

I am worried about what the department will say when my evaluation time comes. I work hard to do something nice in my research but I will not probably submit a paper till next christmas.

Anyone in the same situation (now or in the past)? Can I offset a bad first semester by doing great in the next one(s)?

Thanks!

Does your adviser know how sick you were? I'd suggest making an appointment with him/her and being completely honest about your situation. You're going to need your adviser's support to get through the evaluations. I do wish you the best of luck.

Well, we haven't discussed that yet. I had the impression that advisors check the grades of their students

on their own but I am not very sure that mine did. He knows that I was sick but probably not how difficult it was

for me. 

It's very difficult for me to express the exact situation my health was, so I do not want to make big fuss out of it. I will

probably meet the DGS to hear what is the department's policy and then talk with my advisor on the subject.

Well, we haven't discussed that yet. I had the impression that advisors check the grades of their students

on their own but I am not very sure that mine did. He knows that I was sick but probably not how difficult it was

for me. 

It's very difficult for me to express the exact situation my health was, so I do not want to make big fuss out of it. I will

probably meet the DGS to hear what is the department's policy and then talk with my advisor on the subject.

Just don't fail to advocate for yourself. It's going to be a lot worse for you if you don't get what you need out of talking to them than it's going to be for them to help you, which is part of their job (I assume).