Biostatistics PhD: Buffalo SUNY vs. Vanderbilt U

Assuming two PhD biostat acceptances, both with full funding, from Buffalo SUNY and Vanderbilt University, how to choose?

I know the program in Buffalo is a great program and ranked 18th according to this: http://www.amstat.org/education/pdfs/USNews_BioStatisticsRankings.pdf

But it appears that the program in Vanderbilt is also very good. 

Any comments is very welcomed, like the pros and cons for each of them? Any professor here? 

Thanks! I appreciate that very much.

department link:

http://sphhp.buffalo.edu/biostatistics.html

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/biostatistics/

Edited by thewaythedone

Those rankings are old (2010).That list is by no means a comprehensive list of all Biostatistics programs in the United States; many new departments have been formed in the past 10 years.  New rankings came out last week that include some of these newer established programs. 

With that said, calling Buffalo a "great" program may be a bit of an overstatement. Sure, the fact they were acknowledged in the rankings means it is probably a decent school, but don't think that it's any bit superior to Vanderbilt. In fact, I'd honestly give the edge to Vanderbilt, despite how new the program is (I don't know if they've even graduated a PhD yet).

I'll be honest, while my school is on there, it is not at one of those top places (i.e. I'm not at Michigan, UNC, UW, Harvard or Hopkins), so I'm certainly not looking down on any program from the "we're better than you" perspective, but you'd have a hard time getting an academic position at a high ranked institution with a degree from Buffalo... If your goal is industry, it matters less, but keep in mind that goals change. Speaking for myself, I entered with the idea of going into industry, but academia is something I'm considering much more after being in the program for almost a year, so just keep that in mind.

Also, adviser means more than school in my opinion. I know my program's ranking won't turn heads, and I will most likely never be considered for positions at the top 5 to 10 places, but every student the adviser I'll [most likely] be working with has ended up with academic positions at relatively well-regarded institutions.... (I say "most likely", because it's still tentative because there is still one other person I'm considering working with). 

Anyways, there are a couple faculty members that post here, so perhaps they can give better advice than I can. 

Those rankings are old (2010).That list is by no means a comprehensive list of all Biostatistics programs in the United States; many new departments have been formed in the past 10 years.  New rankings came out last week that include some of these newer established programs. 

With that said, calling Buffalo a "great" program may be a bit of an overstatement. Sure, the fact they were acknowledged in the rankings means it is probably a decent school, but don't think that it's any bit superior to Vanderbilt. In fact, I'd honestly give the edge to Vanderbilt, despite how new the program is (I don't know if they've even graduated a PhD yet).

I'll be honest, while my school is on there, it is not at one of those top places (i.e. I'm not at Michigan, UNC, UW, Harvard or Hopkins), so I'm certainly not looking down on any program from the "we're better than you" perspective, but you'd have a hard time getting an academic position at a high ranked institution with a degree from Buffalo... If your goal is industry, it matters less, but keep in mind that goals change. Speaking for myself, I entered with the idea of going into industry, but academia is something I'm considering much more after being in the program for almost a year, so just keep that in mind.

Also, adviser means more than school in my opinion. I know my program's ranking won't turn heads, and I will most likely never be considered for positions at the top 5 to 10 places, but every student the adviser I'll [most likely] be working with has ended up with academic positions at relatively well-regarded institutions.... (I say "most likely", because it's still tentative because there is still one other person I'm considering working with). 

Anyways, there are a couple faculty members that post here, so perhaps they can give better advice than I can. 

Thanks Noco7! I definitely understand the mind will change......probably forever..... How do you say about the locations if for job hunting reason?

Edited by thewaythedone

Even though Vanderbilt's the newer program, it has more established faculty and so likely provides better research opportunities. I expect that Vandy, once the graduate program is established, will settle in at about the level of places like Pittsburgh, BU, and Iowa, i.e., outside the top 10 but definitely in the top 20. 

Even though Vanderbilt's the newer program, it has more established faculty and so likely provides better research opportunities. I expect that Vandy, once the graduate program is established, will settle in at about the level of places like Pittsburgh, BU, and Iowa, i.e., outside the top 10 but definitely in the top 20. 

Thank you, this is very helpful.