UCLA Fall 2014

imitosis

Anyone else planning to attend UCLA this fall? I haven't officially accepted my offer yet, but I almost certainly will within the next week or so. I thought I'd start this thread off for this year. I'll be moving from the east coast, so any advice on housing/settling into Los Angeles would be great. 

I am a local to LA and attending this fall (whoohoo).

The closer you are to campus, the more you will pay in rent (which you probably already figured). Depending on your budget and your other preferences, of course. I have used Craigslist a lot for apartment and room hunting but some people around here use an agency called Westside Rentals. They have offices and their website is westsiderentals.com and last I heard, they require a credit check from potential renters. I would think they have a screening process for landlords, too, so it maybe a prudent and  time saving option than going with random ads on Craigslist. You should check with UCLA housing's web resources. A long time ago they linked to a special site just for local landlords and the UCLA community.

If you are willing to drive to campus, then you have a lot more options especially with regards to pricing. But be sure to research buying parking on campus (or around campus). One major issue in LA is the insane traffic congestion…I highly recommend not living any further south than Mar Vista if you can avoid it, and no further east than say, Hollywood. This is all based on my own point of view, of course, and so many people commute much further than that. But I know that I would want to spend my time studying not commuting!  And the commutes can be stressful not to mention hazardous with the way people drive here  - sorry - but I am from San Francisco, and the way people drive in LA is nuts. Try to avoid having to travel south on the 405 from UCLA. The 405 can get clogged up with accidents and godknowswhat, and it's just awful! On that positive note (haha), I wish you luck!

Edited by Gellar

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a new local Bruin too! Congrats to you both!

I agree with Cocunut Water about the traffic. It can be horrible but you learn to live with it. I live by Koreatown and it takes about an hour to get to campus with the regular traffic. It's not a big deal for me. So if you're okay with some traffic you can find more affordable housing in other la regions.

Good luck!

Edited by Dianali

• 2 weeks later...

I would be attending UCLA this fall too. I am from New Delhi, India. I have been out of school for 4 years.

I have never been to California. Although, I have lived in SC for almost an year while working. I am excited to be going back to school and living in LA.

I will start looking for housing soon after finishing my visa procedures. But high rental rates and declining INR has me worried a little bit. 

I would be attending UCLA this fall too. I am from New Delhi, India. I have been out of school for 4 years.

I have never been to California. Although, I have lived in SC for almost an year while working. I am excited to be going back to school and living in LA.

I will start looking for housing soon after finishing my visa procedures. But high rental rates and declining INR has me worried a little bit. 

Hello but_if,

What is "INR" - pardon my na·ive·té! I have been out of school longer than you, not counting UCLA Extension courses. :)

I am slowly starting to shop around for housing. Am nervous about applying for university housing, because of the stories I am coming across in forums, yelp, etc. Such as fire alarm/smoke detectors going off all the time, etc. 

Hello Coconut water,

INR -> Indian Rupee. I can't blame you for not knowing what it was.

Where exactly are you looking for housing?

Do you know the approximate date for the start of fall-2014 session? 

Hello Coconut water,

I understand the start date for instruction is in early October. You can check the UCLA website for the Academic Calendar. But don't forget to factor in any orientation dates for your program, if you haven't already. I was told my program's orientation day is usually the day before instruction, but might be the week before. I probably won't know my orientation date until sometime in July. If in doubt, check with your program.

I was new to the concept of the mandatory orientation day.

Edited by Coconut Water

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Coconut water,

Sorry - I realize now that I never answered your question about housing. I was looking close to campus. Actually am going into Weyburn Terrace, one of the on-campus grad apartments. Even though I was advised against it on thegradcafe, I couldn't resist. I wanted to be in walking distance of campus. My program is only a year long and I felt that this may be my last chance to get the full campus experience. I've missed it too much! :)