University of Arizona-- What does a TA do?

So, on Thursday I was admitted to the University of Arizona as an MA student, and awarded a Teaching Assistantship (yay!). The director of the program was very friendly and (of course) knowledgable but I was too flustered to think of the right questions to ask and concerned I would ask questions that everyone else just already knows. Anyway, I wasn't able to ask for a real description of what a TA does, and feel silly calling him back to ask at this point. In my research, I have seen that the job description ranges from grading to independently teaching a course. 

My question is, does anyone know what a TA at the Masters level at the University of Arizona (with no previous experience) would be expected to do their first semester? I want to make sure I am very prepared to do well in whatever duties they assign me! Any info would be much appreciated. :)

Well..First of all congratulations! Ta's actually vary according to programs. Some (like me) teach full on classes, design on lesson plans etc. Others might just assist a professor with grading..etc.

And yes even though you have no previous experience they might ask you to teach your own classes with guidance of course. You should verify this.

Congrats! Arizona is a great program.

I have a professor who went there, and he said that they taught sections of freshmen comp. That's probably what you'll be doing; it's a very standard assignment for first-year TAs. You'll probably be responsible for designing and grading one or more sections of writing 101 or a comparable class.