Freeeeaking out--- need ethical advice

margaretcho

Okay, so I applied to several schools, heard back from almost all-- and only one worked out in terms of funding and so I accepted the offer on April 15. I'm happy about it, everyone's really nice. On April 15, I still hadn't heard back from one TOP school, but saw on the forums that in previous years people didn't find out about rejections until late April or May, so I assumed that I would just get my rejection letter soon. BUT I just got an email today from this school (CREME DE LA CREME) and they want an interview!!!! I am ridiculously excited... of course, if i get in with funding, then this would be my absolute top top top!!!! but i've already said yes to the other school.... I still can't believe this top school contacted me 2 days after the freaking deadline!!!! so i am in need of some ethical advice: do i just wait until I get a possible offer/funding info from this top school? or should i communicate with school A now? my worry is that they will tell their waiting list they're not accepted. I really like the people at school A and I would feel terrible disappointing them or sabotaging their future class (they only accept 2 students/year). also the school is a member of the council of graduate schools.... i haven't signed anything officially yet, though, because I accepted via email. what's the "release" process that people keep mentioning and how do you get "released?" of course this is all a hypothetical situation since i haven't been admitted with funding yet to the top school, but i am feeling overwhelmed by this huge surprise!!!

I'd do the interview, but make sure to ask how long they expect to take to make a decision and remind them that you would like to be in a position to make a decision quickly. I don't think this is out of line given the late date they contacted you. They probably realize this anyway as they've screwed up somewhere along the line (probably by overestimating the number of students that would accept their admission offer).

Basically, I think if you could let school A know within the next week that you wanted to be released from your commitment, well, it's not great, but it's not super evil, either. But the longer it takes, the worse the position you are putting the school and the other (potentially rejected by then) applicants. If you wouldn't have this decision sorted out by the end of next week, I say forget "TOP school." They should have been more on top of this process.

Teaganc should weigh in on this with the no-reason-given-decision making skillz.

Teaganc should weigh in on this with the no-reason-given-decision making skillz.

Fair enough. I say, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Also, I'm considering switching from a no-reason-given decision process to a proverb-only decision process.

I don't think you should tell the school that you are having doubts about your decision. I would just have an interview with the your dream school and press them for a quick decision. If they come through, you can always decline another offer. If they don't, then your first school will not know that they were not your first choice. As for the people on the waitlist, well, you are kind of on the waitlist as well. So, I don't think there is any crime in trying to get what's best for you.

It's not unheard of for folks to rescind their decisions at schools they've already committed to. If you do get into your top choice, just call up the department and admissions office at the school you've accepted enrollment and let them know you've had a change of heart. They should let you out of the commitment to attending.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, what can they do? Make you attend? They might be pissed, and there might be some word-of-mouth backlash, but there's nothing else they will do.

Well, it is a breach of contract if you don't attend and you don't ask to rescind your decision in attending. What the school would do is up to the school. Will they do anything? Probably not. But that option is always there. Besides, it's generally screwing some poor chap on the waitlist, so for fellow human sake, it's the courteous thing to do.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use