Palo Alto PhD Clinical

broham

oh okay, me too! (just out of curiosity, which interview day did you go to?) Are you thinking of attending? 

I been trying to find someone in my same situation to talk to. I think the program sounds good but it's too expensive. I don't know if I want to be in so much debt.

I will admit to not knowing about this particular program.  But conventional wisdom is that if a PhD program is not funded, one should not attend as the debt acquired through an unfunded program is likely to be too large to be manageable.

yeah it offers some funding-ish like you can apply for work study, scholarships, TA positions, etc. I think they also help you write your own grants. 

I'm still scared to take out that much loans but I also don't really want to wait another year ><

Oh and there's always the loan forgiveness programs

• 3 weeks later...

This may becoming late but work-study is not really enough to supplement a PhD program, and usually full-pay places will advertise that they have limited scholarships and TA positions when there's really not enough to go around.  So I would check and see what your chances are of actually getting a scholarship or a TA position are.  Grants are also very competitive, and you probably won't be in a good position to write a grant right away.

Also, I wouldn't rely on loan forgiveness.  For one, if you make even one payment even one day late, you are no longer eligible.  Two, you have to pay taxes on any forgiven amount.  Three, unless you are in certain types of public service you will still be paying the loans for 20 years, and private practice is not public service.  And four, the current administration is discussing capping loan forgiveness at around $57,000.

It's way better to wait a year than to borrow money you know you can't repay.