Anyone planning to attend CMU?

seastar65

Hi all,

I've been accepted to Central Michigan's program for next fall and was wondering if anyone else is considering this program. I unfortunately could not make it to the open house back in February, but from the info research that I've done-- the program seems like a great fit for me and tuition is much more affordable than my other option because I've been offered a GA and in-state tuition for at least the first year. I also like that 

The only cons that I've been mulling over is:

1) it's not as highly ranked. i know ranking isn't everything, but my other option (top 3) is because of the variety of clinical sites

2) family is everything to me and i'd be living half way across the country

3) the weather..... 

Can anyone offer me any additional information about the area or the program? thanks :)

Hi!

I am also considering CMU.  I couldn't go to the open house either, but I did go up and visit on my own!  The faculty that I spoke with were very nice and welcoming. The students I spoke with were all happy with their decision to go there and had positive things to say.  The only things I didn't really love about the program were the location (in Mt. Pleasant) and the locations of their clinical placements.  Mt. Pleasant is a pretty small town and there is not really a wide variety of externship sites near CMU for clinical rotations, which is kind of a turn-off for me.  The locations for your rotations just seemed kind of limited to me.  That being said, their on-site clinic is really nice and it seemed like that is where they get a lot of hours in.  Although knowing Mt. Pleasant, I don't know that the CMU clinic would get a whole lot of variety in clinic patients, but who knows!

As far as the area, if you are okay with living in a smaller town and dealing with a little snow in the winters, I think you would like it! Mt. Pleasant isn't really close to any bigger cities, so depending on what you're used to it might be a big change.  I've lived in MI my whole life, so maybe I'm just used to it, but the weather isn't that bad :) Cold and snowy in the winters, but spring, summer, and fall are gorgeous!

If you have any other questions let me know!

I did my undergraduate work at CMU and they have offered me a position in the grad program. The facilities are excellent, I visited numerous programs, in various states and found very few that have as complete a clinic. The audiology faculty have always been very supportive. Clinical Placements can require some travel, but I have heard no complaints from the current grad. students.

Mt. Pleasant is a small, college town in central Michigan, don't expect too much excitement. If you are an outdoors person, Michigan is a beautiful state. Within 2 hours of Mt. Pleasant, depending on the season, you can find great hiking and biking trails, Lake Michigan, ski and snowboard areas, camping ect. I doubt grad. school will leave any of us much time, but I think the area has enough to offer to make the limited free time enjoyable.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Thanks for the responses!!

When I talked to Dr. Stewart on the phone, it sounded like they accepted a large number of in state students or those coming from neighboring states, so naturally one of my concerns is whether or not I will fit in with the cohort.. then again, group dynamics can't be predicted until we all meet each other so I think I'm just over thinking this one. 

I grew up and did my undergrad in a big city, so moving to a small town like Mt. Pleasant will be a dramatic transition. Both weather-wise and the fact that everything will be more spread out. Like you, AudMel, I am looking for a program with various options for clinical rotations and diversity of patients/problems. I know the campus clinic offers all types of auditory services that will help me in getting exposure to the different areas of practice, but I want to be challenged with unique cases so that I'm prepared to do my externship (hopefully) in a big city. 

I am also interested in working at the VA, and as far as I know, CMU's program is not connected with one. 

Other lingering questions:

Do you know where previous grad students have been placed for externships? 

What's transportation like? Do most people drive? Bus? 

Will AuD students be assigned a faculty member to check in on their progress on a regular basis/what's the feedback system like?

Also-- if you don't mind sharing.. what other programs are you guys considering? It's kinda crazy how we have to make our decisions soon but I'm excited to meet my future classmates!

Sounds like we are kinda in the same boat! I would really like to be able to do my externship in a larger city and I'm also wondering if the clinic and rotations at CMU would really set me up well for that.  From what I've heard, externship sites of past students are similar to those in other programs - you can really go anywhere in the country.  I did get the impression that students are more responsible for setting up their own externship at CMU as opposed to working together with a faculty member, but I could be mistaken!

And yes, as far as I know, CMU is not really connected with the VA :(

As far as transportation goes, I would think that most graduate students just drive to the building - Mt. Pleasant isn't really a big enough town where driving is an inconvenience and from what I gathered students can just buy a parking permit to park right on campus.

I am also considering Rush, Western Michigan, and Pitt - and right now I'm kind of torn! I can't believe that in 15 days my decision will be finalized! Especially when I don't even know what I've decided yet!