Phd Electrical Engineering

I may or may not be posting this prematurely, but I want to get some other opinions. I have applied to 11 schools for a PhD in Electrical Engineering, at the time of this post I have been accepted to 1 PhD program and 2 Masters programs. I am still waiting to hear back from 3 schools, and funding information from the one PhD. I came from a very small engineering program at a liberal arts university and my professors may have been out of the loop too long, but they were under the impression I would not get admitted anywhere without funding. I did my research and spoke with many schools and the general feeling was that for PhD students I would be funded, masters students were typically not funded. I did not realize how competitive the various funding sources (RA, TA, Fellowships) are when applying.

Here are a bunch of the questions going through my mind at the moment:

1.) Should I really pay for graduate school? I know I want it bad enough to take the loans out and pay, but I am debt free at the moment and don't particularly like the idea of exactly how much money graduate school entails. Would the job I have to get to pay for living expenses take away from the quality of my work? I had a job in my undergrad, but it was super easy, I could do hw in my down time...plus I picked my own hours; but I know graduate school takes more time dedication and should be more challenging. Especially coming from an unranked small program, to a top 25 ranked research programs.

2.) Would it benefit me more if I were to attend a top ranked Masters program and try again for PhD in two years? Is two years enough time for a professor to get to know me to be willing to write letters or rec? Will I be in so much debt after my Masters that I will not want to continue to my goal of a PhD?

3.) Should I take a risk at the well ranked PhD school in hopes that after my first year I receive funding offers? The department informed me that only about 10% of first year students are funded, would it be appropriate to ask how many second year students receive funding?

Any input would help, particularly those in my same field.

ps: I have more questions, I just have to sort them out in my mind first...if that makes sense.

pss: Please forgive the spelling, grammar, and nonsense rambling.

Thanks for reading! :D

1) Most people don't have an option but to pay for their MS. It might be worth considering the university that has the best reputation AND cost among yours. I've heard graduate school is actually somewhat easier than undergrad because the professors understand most MS students work at the same time - B's are the new C's in grad school, they have no intention of failing you out of the program. And if you come from a small unranked school, the upgrade in resume prestige is likely well worth it for future job opportunities.

2) You should go with a good school for your MS if you are really set on a PhD. Letters should be no problem if you plan it well (talk to professors when you can and DO WELL IN CLASSES). I'm not sure of your financial situation, but you should get your MS if you think it will help you get into a nice PhD program - isn't that the point of money anyway? do what makes you happy with your money (thankfully you're in engineering so I think you'll manage well).

3) Maybe this means you would end up getting your MS there if you don't end up getting PhD funding? Sounds like that would be the worst case to me. This brings you back to 1).

You seem very lucky in that you came out with a debt-free BS; consider yourself lucky. You are probably more able to afford graduate school than most Americans. In terms of money for your MS, you would likely get a great paying internship during the summer if you do an MS at a good school.

Edited by Rantar

1) Most people don't have an option but to pay for their MS. It might be worth considering the university that has the best reputation AND cost among yours. I've heard graduate school is actually somewhat easier than undergrad because the professors understand most MS students work at the same time - B's are the new C's in grad school, they have no intention of failing you out of the program. And if you come from a small unranked school, the upgrade in resume prestige is likely well worth it for future job opportunities.

2) You should go with a good school for your MS if you are really set on a PhD. Letters should be no problem if you plan it well (talk to professors when you can and DO WELL IN CLASSES). I'm not sure of your financial situation, but you should get your MS if you think it will help you get into a nice PhD program - isn't that the point of money anyway? do what makes you happy with your money (thankfully you're in engineering so I think you'll manage well).

3) Maybe this means you would end up getting your MS there if you don't end up getting PhD funding? Sounds like that would be the worst case to me. This brings you back to 1).

You seem very lucky in that you came out with a debt-free BS; consider yourself lucky. You are probably more able to afford graduate school than most Americans. In terms of money for your MS, you would likely get a great paying internship during the summer if you do an MS at a good school.

Thanks!