SLP mommies???? Working mommies?

Hello,

I just wanted to get a feel for the candidate pool and graduate pool (who are in the program).  I am finishing the certificate program now and have applied for the masters and now awaiting responses.  I noticed though, that there are a lot of younger candidates and not too many students with children and working full time.  Or I have just not delved that deep into student's lives.

I am a mom of 3, and 8yr old, 5yr old, and 4yr old.  I work full time and take my certificate courses part time.  I am trying to get an idea of what grad school in this program is like for anyone in a similar situation.  I also am trying to prepare for the neccessary reality of changes I will have to make if/when accepted (positive thinking right?).  I have heard that no one works over 15/20 hours while in the program.  Anyone with experience who can chime in would be greatly helpful.

Even if thiis not you particular circumstance, I would value your info.  Did you have to quit a job?  What type of work do you do while in the program, do you have children and how do you balance all that?  How do you survive as a grad student if you have a family to support and not working?  I have a supportive partner, but it will still be a struggle financially to live off one income if that is the case. 

Thank you!

Hi- I'm not a mom, but I am a full time worker. I completed my bachelors in Speech Pathology in a three year span while working full time, so I thought I'd be able to work quite a bit while in grad school, too. However, I talked to several professors and current graduate students, and not one person believes it would be possible to work more than 20 hours while in the graduate program without it taking a toll on your education. This idea seems insane, but completely understandable. Grad school is tough, and there's a lot to learn in such a small amount of time. If quitting your job (or cutting back to part time) is absolutely not an option for you, you may want to look into some part time distance education programs. There are some great ones out there, and they would allow for you to spend time with your kids and work while taking courses. The downside to this is that it's usually slightly more expensive and will extend through 9-10 semesters (three years) rather than 5-6 (2 years). Again, I'm not a current grad student, but this just information I've received on the topic. Hope it helps :)

Hi- I'm not a mom, but I am a full time worker. I completed my bachelors in Speech Pathology in a three year span while working full time, so I thought I'd be able to work quite a bit while in grad school, too. However, I talked to several professors and current graduate students, and not one person believes it would be possible to work more than 20 hours while in the graduate program without it taking a toll on your education. This idea seems insane, but completely understandable. Grad school is tough, and there's a lot to learn in such a small amount of time. If quitting your job (or cutting back to part time) is absolutely not an option for you, you may want to look into some part time distance education programs. There are some great ones out there, and they would allow for you to spend time with your kids and work while taking courses. The downside to this is that it's usually slightly more expensive and will extend through 9-10 semesters (three years) rather than 5-6 (2 years). Again, I'm not a current grad student, but this just information I've received on the topic. Hope it helps :)

I meant for it to say "it wouldn't be possible to work more than 20 hourse while in the graduate program without it taking a toll on your education."

Hello,

I just wanted to get a feel for the candidate pool and graduate pool (who are in the program).  I am finishing the certificate program now and have applied for the masters and now awaiting responses.  I noticed though, that there are a lot of younger candidates and not too many students with children and working full time.  Or I have just not delved that deep into student's lives.

I am a mom of 3, and 8yr old, 5yr old, and 4yr old.  I work full time and take my certificate courses part time.  I am trying to get an idea of what grad school in this program is like for anyone in a similar situation.  I also am trying to prepare for the neccessary reality of changes I will have to make if/when accepted (positive thinking right?).  I have heard that no one works over 15/20 hours while in the program.  Anyone with experience who can chime in would be greatly helpful.

Even if thiis not you particular circumstance, I would value your info.  Did you have to quit a job?  What type of work do you do while in the program, do you have children and how do you balance all that?  How do you survive as a grad student if you have a family to support and not working?  I have a supportive partner, but it will still be a struggle financially to live off one income if that is the case. 

Thank you!

What a great thread for mommies! I am still waiting to hear my fate for grad school in the next few weeks since all the schools I applied to are in California. I have a 10 year old, go to school full time and work a minimum of at least 20 hours a week (even when I was a single mother I did this). I have spoke to a few of my professors who actually worked while attending grad school some 10+ years ago. Eventually they said it all comes down to the type of person you are. They were all able to make it work for them and I think I can make it work for myself too. There will definitely be some sacrafices to make such as not being able to get a full 8 hours of sleep and spending weekends on school work rather than cleaning the house. Lol. I sure would like to hear from the mommies/daddies who have experience this first hand.

Fellow mommy here!!!! 2 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. I was also working part time (massage therapist), volunteering 10 hours a week and going to school full time. I'm exhausted....mentally & physically so I actually only applied to one program, part time status. I won't be working as a massage therapist but my volunteer experience has turned into a paid position with an SLP. That's all I can handle after the last few years. If I don't get in this year, I will soak up every minute with my kids, retake my GREs (the only thing I think that would hold me back) and reapply next year to all the local & online programs.

I'm a mother as well. =) I have a beautiful six year old daughter. I applied to 3 distance programs and 2 on-campus programs. If I am accepted to a distance program I absolutely plan on working. I am currently searching for full time job opportunities. My current job only offers me 25 hours a week. If I am accepted into one of the on-campus programs I will have a lot to sort out as those on-campus programs are 6+ hours from where I currently live. I will definitely get a job, but it will have to be under 15 hours of work a week as I am determined to do additional volunteer work/research during grad school. I am lucky to have a supportive SO who has a good income and is willing to handle other responsibilities while I attend school.

I don't have everything figured out yet. I'm still waiting to hear from my programs so I think we'll work through the details as news comes in. This is my second year applying so I am hoping for the best.

Edited by ballerina18

Thank you this does help, and seems to be the case, this is consistanly what I've heard.  I applied to a distance program - NOVA, so we'll see.  It depends for me, on wherever I get in lol.  If it's a traditional program, I will take it and have to make it work.

I spoke to grad students and they all told me that working 20 hours a week while in school full time was pushing it. Mind you they were single.

Yeah this is what I've heard.  I don't know too many mommies in the program either.

What a great thread for mommies! I am still waiting to hear my fate for grad school in the next few weeks since all the schools I applied to are in California. I have a 10 year old, go to school full time and work a minimum of at least 20 hours a week (even when I was a single mother I did this). I have spoke to a few of my professors who actually worked while attending grad school some 10+ years ago. Eventually they said it all comes down to the type of person you are. They were all able to make it work for them and I think I can make it work for myself too. There will definitely be some sacrafices to make such as not being able to get a full 8 hours of sleep and spending weekends on school work rather than cleaning the house. Lol. I sure would like to hear from the mommies/daddies who have experience this first hand.

It seems we are a very similar type.  I am awaiting my fate from the CA schools too.  Waitlisted at CSULA, and nothing from the others yet (CSULB, CSUN, and one distance program NOVA out of FL).  CSULB has a special cohort I applied for which is for working people, they have a Fri/Sat program.  Of course, that would be ideal, but I haven't heard yet and I know they had interviews already and see some people have been accepted already. 

I do part time school and work full time, before I had kids I worked and did school full time.  My house is never clean and I rarley get 8 hours of sleep lol. 

Keep me posted on your fate, and hopefully we can give feedback to each other!

Fellow mommy here!!!! 2 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. I was also working part time (massage therapist), volunteering 10 hours a week and going to school full time. I'm exhausted....mentally & physically so I actually only applied to one program, part time status. I won't be working as a massage therapist but my volunteer experience has turned into a paid position with an SLP. That's all I can handle after the last few years. If I don't get in this year, I will soak up every minute with my kids, retake my GREs (the only thing I think that would hold me back) and reapply next year to all the local & online programs.

Yay!  And you have 2 kids!  You seem to have your hands full, but also it sems to be working out well for you esp moving from volunteer to paid!  Will that be part time with the same 10 hours?  Even if you don't get in this year, that experience will strengthen you application for next! 

If I don't get in this yr, I will try to get some experience with an SLP somehow and retake my GRE as well (it also is the only thing hurting me.  The CA schools I've applied to seem to not have a part time option.  But there is a distance program I applied to.   

I'm a mother as well. =) I have a beautiful six year old daughter. I applied to 3 distance programs and 2 on-campus programs. If I am accepted to a distance program I absolutely plan on working. I am currently searching for full time job opportunities. My current job only offers me 25 hours a week. If I am accepted into one of the on-campus programs I will have a lot to sort out as those on-campus programs are 6+ hours from where I currently live. I will definitely get a job, but it will have to be under 15 hours of work a week as I am determined to do additional volunteer work/research during grad school. I am lucky to have a supportive SO who has a good income and is willing to handle other responsibilities while I attend school.

I don't have everything figured out yet. I'm still waiting to hear from my programs so I think we'll work through the details as news comes in. This is my second year applying so I am hoping for the best.

Seems like distance programs are the only feasible option if you want to work, realistically, at least more than 15 hours a week.  It def helps if you have a SO who can take on the financial aspects and is supportive. 

Hello! I am quite untraditional as an SLP student. I am 26 and I have a 7 year old daughter. I will complete my first Masters this June and have held two assistantships totaling 30 hours/week for the entire program. Life is insane at times. It requires commitment and discipline on many levels. I am stretched thin but still manage to find time to volunteer at her school once a week, take her to her extracurriculars, etc. My life consists of reading, eating, sleeping, reading, cleaning, working, driving around, and more reading. At times my daughter gets to hear my assigned readings as a bedtime story. Thankfully she understands. Anyhow, I have found that 2 years in a Masters program fly by and the investment is well worth the sacrifices.

I am a mom of a 15 month old. I decided to go back full time so my husband and I decided to move in with my parents to save money. He works from home so he can work from anywhere. I am currently taking prereqs at Kean Univ in NJ and waiting to hear back from them about an acceptance to their grad program. I am hoping to land a Graduate Assistant position which would pay for school (!) which includes working 20 hours per week in addition to school work. There is a grad student at Kean that I spoke with who also has a young child and is a grad assistant. She said that she also lives with extended family who are incredibly supportive. That is how they make it work and how we plan to do it. If I don't get the grad assistant position or get into Kean, I will have to revisit my plan. ( I did apply to other schools, so we will see what happens there).