Switching the Research Lab (Undergraduate)

microbecode01

Hello!

I am a current college freshman, and my future goal is to become a microbiological bioengineer..  Since the last December, I have been working in the bacteriology lab that focuses on the industrial microbiology.  However, I started to realize that my true interest lies on the virology, particularly the influenza viruses.  After doing some research and application processes, I got accepted to the research lab on my college that focuses on the virology.  I want to work in that lab as soon as possible, but I registered my current bacteriology lab as a research-credit course; my current mentor expects  me to complete the lab until my graduation.  However, I want to start working in the virology lab starting on this Summer.  How should I tell my mentor that I will resign from the lab?  When should I notify her?

• 4 weeks later...

I want to work in that lab as soon as possible, but I registered my current bacteriology lab as a research-credit course; my current mentor expects  me to complete the lab until my graduation. 

Graduation? As in you're expected to stay in the lab the next 3 years?