MA vs MS

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question. Some programs that I applied to (including my top choice) offer an MA in Speech Pathology (Master of Arts), while some offer an MS in Speech Pathology (Master of Science).

Does anybody have any kind of idea how the programs would be different? Would an MS program just be more research oriented? And, does having an MA versus an MS affect the likelihood of getting a job one day?

Thank you!

Edited by jesstrom

I cannot speak from experience, but I have looked into this topic. From what I've read it does not matter in the field of SLP. What matters is that you have your Cs and attended an accredited program. If it helps, I've volunteered with three different SLPs in a hospital setting and they were a mix of MA & MS degrees. I think it ultimately comes down to experience in this field. I will be interested to hear what others have to say on this matter.

What one program told me is that it's a matter of technicality- where exactly the slp program is housed in your school. For instance, if it's housed in the "health sciences" department, it'll most likely be an MS. If it's housed in the "special education" or "human services" dept, it'll likely be an MA. They told me it doesn't make a difference.

I cannot speak from experience, but I have looked into this topic. From what I've read it does not matter in the field of SLP. What matters is that you have your Cs and attended an accredited program. If it helps, I've volunteered with three different SLPs in a hospital setting and they were a mix of MA & MS degrees. I think it ultimately comes down to experience in this field. I will be interested to hear what others have to say on this matter.

@ballerina18, you mentioned you have volunteered with a mix of MA and MS SLPs in a hospital--do you know what programs they attended?  Did they attend general SLP programs or programs specifically tailored for work in the medical setting? I'm struggling with my choice between a cheap school and couple of good medical SLP programs so I was just wondering if it really does make a difference in the job world for SLPs working in hospitals

@ballerina18, you mentioned you have volunteered with a mix of MA and MS SLPs in a hospital--do you know what programs they attended?  Did they attend general SLP programs or programs specifically tailored for work in the medical setting? I'm struggling with my choice between a cheap school and couple of good medical SLP programs so I was just wondering if it really does make a difference in the job world for SLPs working in hospitals

I agree, i'm not sure it matters M.A. or M.S. it's just where its housed in the school. I think it comes down more to the clinical placements and practicums you choose for medical settings and where you choose to do your CFY. A medical oriented school would be wonderful, but a degree from any masters program will still look good and get you the classes you need. If you want to work in a hospital, i'd look for schools that have good placements for Medical settings, with maybe bigger hospitals or acute care programs, etc. The core classes won't matter near as much as your placements and experience in the area you plan to work in. A Medical school may help a little bit with getting a better CFY at a big hospital, but really it will come down to your knowledge and experience no matter what!! Good luck searching!

Yes, I can tell you what program they each attended. However, it is important to note that I live in an isolated, small college town. The SLPs at the hospital in my town do not see the same volume of patients as a hospital in a larger city would. I don't know if that makes a difference to you. All SLPs below are contracted to work in an Early Learning Center in addition to the hospital.

• SLP #1- MS-University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I know for a fact her CFY was in the school district and that she worked ~5 yrs in a school system before switching to med SLP.
  • SLP #2- MA-Washington State. Specializes in voice therapy, swallowing. Medical CFY
  • SLP #3- MA-Washington State. Specializes in feeding/swallowing. Medical CFY
  • SLP #4- MS- Idaho State University. Specializes in Autism/Dementia. Medical CFY.

Yes, I can tell you what program they each attended. However, it is important to note that I live in an isolated, small college town. The SLPs at the hospital in my town do not see the same volume of patients as a hospital in a larger city would. I don't know if that makes a difference to you. All SLPs below are contracted to work in an Early Learning Center in addition to the hospital.

• SLP #1- MS-University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I know for a fact her CFY was in the school district and that she worked ~5 yrs in a school system before switching to med SLP.
  • SLP #2- MA-Washington State. Specializes in voice therapy, swallowing. Medical CFY
  • SLP #3- MA-Washington State. Specializes in feeding/swallowing. Medical CFY
  • SLP #4- MS- Idaho State University. Specializes in Autism/Dementia. Medical CFY.

I agree, i'm not sure it matters M.A. or M.S. it's just where its housed in the school. I think it comes down more to the clinical placements and practicums you choose for medical settings and where you choose to do your CFY. A medical oriented school would be wonderful, but a degree from any masters program will still look good and get you the classes you need. If you want to work in a hospital, i'd look for schools that have good placements for Medical settings, with maybe bigger hospitals or acute care programs, etc. The core classes won't matter near as much as your placements and experience in the area you plan to work in. A Medical school may help a little bit with getting a better CFY at a big hospital, but really it will come down to your knowledge and experience no matter what!! Good luck searching!

Thanks so much @ballerina18 and @lgwslp!!! That's really helpful.  So, from what I gather, being in a medically based program would give me a leg up but the more important thing is the CFY.  The trouble with some of my local schools is that they don't have abundant/great resources for clinical placements in children's hospitals or a pediatric unit within a hospital.  I'll have to find out more about how they can help me with the CFY though so I definitely have some researching to do.

Thanks so much @ballerina18 and @lgwslp!!! That's really helpful.  So, from what I gather, being in a medically based program would give me a leg up but the more important thing is the CFY.  The trouble with some of my local schools is that they don't have abundant/great resources for clinical placements in children's hospitals or a pediatric unit within a hospital.  I'll have to find out more about how they can help me with the CFY though so I definitely have some researching to do.

Yeah, definitely research and call schools! Get as much information as possible about the different programs you are interested in. Some schools will allow you to go to other places for your practicums as well - so that might be an option, if you could live elsewhere for a summer or part of a semester? Most schools will help you find a CFY I believe, at least searching and finding something within your area of interest!!