Cornell M Eng or Georgia Tech MS CS: Computer Science

kcyc

Hi, I am very happy for my choices, never thought i would get in! My undergrad degree was in Bio, so getting into good CS programs was quite unimaginable for me 2 months ago.

But now I must decide to go to Cornell or Georgia Tech for master's.

Georgia Tech is stronger in engineering across the board, while GT and Cornell are equally excellent in CS and Computer Engineering.

Cornell would take 1 year to complete, at a faster pace of 5 classes (15 credits) per semester, while GT takes 1.5-2 years to complete, at slower pace of 4 classes (12 credits) per semester.

GT has a thesis option, while Cornell doesn't (has only a project option). Although I want to go into industry right after graduation, so not sure if doing a thesis matters.

Cornell is also very cold, and I have no experience handling snow. Ithaca also seems isolated, but if recruiters come to the campus anyway, it should be fine. However, Cornell has better programs overall in business, law, medicine, etc. which I think would be neat to get to know/network with other students in those fields. Also Cornell just finished building a new Gates Hall for CS and info science departments this year, and Bill Gates will come for the building for dedication.

GT is located in the big city Atlanta and is warm. However, GT is only strong in business and engineering, so I feel the overall GT experience may not be as interesting or enriching as a Cornell education. Although would that matter if I'm set on studying engineering.

Research dollars:

Georgia Tech: $225,000,000, 256 master CS students

Cornell:           $132,000,000, 100 master CS students

so per capita research dollar spent is about the same.

Tuition:

Cornell 47k for 1 year, and it takes 1 year to complete 30 credits to graduate.

Georgia Tech 45k for 1.5 year, and it takes 1.5-2 years to complete 36 credits to graduate.

Does anyone have insights into Cornell or Georgia Tech's career prospects? Just by reputation and academic quality alone, would you recommend GT or Cornell?

Then, taking into account tuition and location and time to complete the degree, would you recommend GT or Cornell?

Thanks a lot!

As someone who went to Tech for undergrad in engineering and is now working for a software company, I wouldn't underestimate Georgia Tech's reputation among employers.

Cornell has very strong academics as well, and the network is probably better.  For finances though, you can't do much better than Georgia Tech:  http://www.payscale.com/college-roi/

You're fortunate to have those two schools to choose from, and you honestly can't go wrong with either one.  Go with whatever you think is best for you, and good luck!

Thanks! GT has great facilities and research in engineering.

I'm out of state though for GT so GT may cost close to Cornell cost.

Thanks, I do have some thinking to do, they're both really good schools~ Unfortunately I didn't get into Berkeley, because I really wanted to go back to California.

I would go to cornell personally. For one, you will graduate faster and begin working. Also, in industry the name of the school matters and regardless of program ranking, the name cornell carries much more weight to it IMO. Georgia Tech is an awesome school of course but I don't think that the name carries the power that Cornell's would in industry. Also, if it takes you 2 years to finish at GT then it will be quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks, I have heard Cornell's best Ivy engineering school reputation carries an extra "impressive" factor to  people. Microsoft seems to like to hire lots of Cornell CS students, see placement

https://www.cs.cornell.edu/undergrad/cscareers/placementreport

I feel on the East Coast Ivy prestige matters more, especially with record high number of undergrad applicants and record low acceptance rates in the last decade.

Although Georgia Tech's engineering prowess travels far and wide too, given its large number of graduates. Career outcomes look impressive too:

https://webapps.gatech.edu/cfcampus/adors/commencement/salary_report.cfm

I'm worried about the snowy cold North, so NYC probably is very cold too, but Ithaca seems accumulate more snowfall. The Cornell M Eng CS enrolls 100 students for Ithaca campus and 30 for NYC campus, which is more entrepreneurship-oriented. They're separate admission programs, though I could think about it before requesting a change.