Harvard SM2 vs. Hopkins MSPH in Health Policy

Policy3090

I am having so much trouble deciding between these two programs. Does anyone have advice? I'm interested in health policy and considering PhD after I get my Master's degree. Here's my thoughts so far:

Harvard: The program has two years of classes, so there's more flexibility in the curriculum, which could allow me to specialize in a specific area of health policy. Also, I could take classes at other schools at Harvard, including the Kennedy School of Government. Finally, I get the sense that Harvard is very well known for its policy and econ research, which could be good training for a PhD. The main drawbacks for me are the cost and that it's below Hopkins in terms of prestige in the public health world (despite the fact that it is an ivy league school).

Hopkins: It is MUCH cheaper, because of the 75% tuition scholarship the second year. However, this is because students are taking a full time practicum. While there's opportunities to take classes online and on campus the second year (if the practicum is near the school), I am worried that it still wouldn't be the same experience as taking a full courseload. It's also the #1 public health school in the country, but I wonder whether that translates to being #1 in health policy.

I guess my main question is whether I should spend more money on that second year of classes at Harvard? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Harvard is definitely not below hopkins in the public health world. In fact, Harvard is known for it's policy emphasis and Hopkins for it's epi. If you want to get your PhD, a good thing to consider is if you want to do it at Harvard vs Hopkins and choose accordingly. There are many, many more students in the hopkins' programs (MPH +MSPH) than at Harvard, so you'll probably get smaller classes/more personalized attention at Harvard. I'd say, if you can swing the extra cost, go to Harvard. 

• 2 weeks later...