Is it OK to talk about other schools while asking funding from a school?

Inka dreams

To cut a long story short, should I talk abt my other admits to a school when I ask them abt funding?

Like "I have offers from blah blah, but i like ur program more, so give me some funding... blah blah.." 

Any opinions??

There's nothing wrong with being your own advocate. You don't have to mention the other schools by name, though. You can simply tell them that they're your top choice but another program gave you funding, and ask if they can work with you.  

There's nothing wrong with being your own advocate. You don't have to mention the other schools by name, though. You can simply tell them that they're your top choice but another program gave you funding, and ask if they can work with you.  

Hmm Thanks... I like the idea. I will let them know. :)

I was able to successfully negotiate better funding from my top choice. I dont know if it's common to try this or not. I intended to do it before even sending my applications in lol

When I inquired about revised funding, I was asked to provide the offer letter from the school offering better funding. I sent it and about 3 hrs later, had a revised offer sent to me. They were not able to match dollar for dollar, but they came up several thousand. The funding was a sticking point for me, since both schools were roughly equal overall to me.

I did not turn around and try to get one of my other schools to counter my revised offer. If I were a better salesman, I may have tried to pull that off. As it was, I waa happy that I had something to push me to accept one school over the other.

Timing is a big thing here. I was fortunate to have multiple funding offers at once and with reasonable deadlines.

Good luck!