Ph.D in Applied Psychology Vs. IO For Someone Looking to be a Consultant

Chops13

Hello,

My process is slowly winding down. I interviewed at an Applied (IO, community and social) Psychology Doctoral program last week, and I received an offer yesterday including full a tuition waiver and a 14k stipend. I really, really liked the IO Psychology professor (she sent me my offer so I am assuming she would be my mentor) and it seemed most of the students also had an IO focus and there is enough flexibility in the program that I can specialize and gain the same knowledge I would in a traditional IO program. The program also has a consulting firm, where I can gain real-world experience solving organization issues.

My only concern is that degree in Applied Psychology rather than IO will be looked down upon when I go to apply for a consulting job after graduating. I am sure the consulting firm will counteract this a great deal, but I wanted to get some board opinions. Will the name "Applied Psych" hurt me even if my coursework, thesis and dissertation is almost identical to that of someone graduating from an IO program?  I have been accepted to 3 IO Masters programs and I am currently wait listed at 2 IO Ph. D programs and haven't heard back from a 3rd Ph.D regarding my status. 

Edited by Chops13

You will be fine. Just make sure you are able to get experience that lends itself to being a consultant. Nobody is going to check your diploma for the title of your degree. 

Edited by iopsych