UBC MLIS vs Mcgill MIS

JCJC

I've been accepted by these two programs, and is wondering which to go.

UBC has cheaper tuition fee, more course options, and good co-op program. In addition, I could live at home.

However, I really want to try living in Montreal, improving my French, and meet more diverse people.

Is it silly to choose a program mainly because of the location?

Does anyone have any advice about this?

thanks!

I think it all depends on how important cheaper tuition fees, more course options, a good co-op program, and living at home are to you, relative to location.

Montreal is a fantastic city! If I could, that's where I'd go. 

That being said, I applied where I did purely based on location (and fit within that city). I turned down a better funded offer because it would have been a long commute. I did it that way because what was #1 for me was living with my husband. So no, I don't think it is silly to make location a strong factor in your decision. 

Edited by rj16

When you get two good offers, you can't go wrong with either option. Have you sat down and calculated exactly how much difference there will be in cost? I would do this first to make an informed decision. After doing this if you don't mind the higher price tag, then go for it!

As for tuition fee and rent, I need to pay extra $8000/year for attending Mcgill.

Since it's a two years program, I might need to spend more 16K on my graduate school.

As for tuition fee and rent, I need to pay extra $8000/year for attending Mcgill.

Since it's a two years program, I might need to spend more 16K on my graduate school.

Is that feasible? I think most people don't have the option of living at home so that's just what they expect to spend... But if it means going in to debt, not worth it imo. 

Have you ever lived on your own before? There is a lot more to pay for than rent - like food, toileteries, cleaning products, internet, cell phone, bus pass, etc.... you'd also need extra money to buy things you can't bring with you like blankets, pillows, bed sheets, lamps, kitchen supplies, etc. unless you plan to drive across the country and transport them with you.   

You could get by in Montreal for $1000/month if you are ok with having roommates, if you don't have car and if you are good at following a budget. If your program is 24 months long, that's $24,000 not including airfare there and back, plus extra airfare if you want to go back home for the holidays (ie: Christmas break, reading week, summertime).

I'd wager that you'd need about $15,000/yr plus extra for tuition. 

that's really a big money!!

I've lived on my own aboard, but the cost of living was way lower there.

I didn't do the accurate math about living in Montreal.

Thanks for your advice. It really helps me make my mind!