Hunter College, MICA, or Temple?

aliciagale

Everyone contributing to these forums has been so thoughtful and encouraging. I am hoping to get some advice on this very important decision. I was accepted to Hunter, MICA, and Temple. I live in the southeast so I will be uprooting my life no matter what. Does anyone have a helpful assessment of these schools? I keep hearing bad things about Hunter but they have talented artists coming out of their program. Temple's program appears to be less interdisciplinary. MICA has a wonderful campus and great program. I'm out of state so Hunter is still going to be costly but it's in the city. Any advice would be most helpful as I'm coming from out of state. 

what bad things have you heard about hunter

My current professor advocated that I choose another school but he wouldn't give me any concrete reasons. Some people have suggested that it's easy to get lost in the crowd. I really loved the professors I interviewed with and the students but I'm afraid that because I did not visit a lot of schools, I have nothing to compare it to.

My current professor advocated that I choose another school but he wouldn't give me any concrete reasons. Some people have suggested that it's easy to get lost in the crowd. I really loved the professors I interviewed with and the students but I'm afraid that because I did not visit a lot of schools, I have nothing to compare it to.

I heard something similar concerning having little contact/interaction with the professors there, but perhaps see if you can get a hold of some current grads there? Can they give you a list of some to contact? Some schools do this very openly and willingly (CMU) while others you may need to email or call for. Other than that, I've heard some good things- I really think its up to the kind of experience you personally want to have and what your own personal needs are. If you think you need more guidance, then Hunter may not be a good choice for you. However, if you are rather autonomous and good at creating connections with people whose opinions are valuable to you, then it may work out for you. 

NYC is a big place, so it is going to be a lot to adjust to if you haven't lived in a large city before. But it is also one of the easiest cities to figure out how to get around in- and you will never lack for inspiration. All three of those schools are in cities and Hunter is definitely the better bargain up front...

I went to the open studios. There were a lot of students. Some of them were not so great and some of them were pretty good.

The facilities were pretty nice - a lot of the studios are shared but many of them have huge windows and are pretty big. I have had many friends who have gone there and none of them have complained about the size of the program or the inaccessibility of the professors. There were plenty of traditional painters (abstract and figurative) there so the interdisciplinary aspect of the program should not be a concern.

Hunter has produced the most interesting and well-known artists of all three schools (that is, the most interesting artists who got their MFAs there) and has the most interesting faculty. But it is unlikely that you will get as much one on one time due to the size. I did not choose to attend Hunter for that reason. But I would choose it over MICA and Temple due to its reputation and the quality of many of its graduates. I think Ismewild's advice is appropriate.

I know I'm being a snob but it just seems like MICA and Temple have not produced any particularly notable painters. No amount of hypothetical teacher interaction can mitigate that fact in my eyes. I'd rather bet on more independently fostering my own talent at a better school amongst more talented peers than being more intimately mentored by professors whose guidance has otherwise not generated much of an alumni presence in the art world.

Edited by mlk

I heard something similar concerning having little contact/interaction with the professors there, but perhaps see if you can get a hold of some current grads there? Can they give you a list of some to contact? Some schools do this very openly and willingly (CMU) while others you may need to email or call for. Other than that, I've heard some good things- I really think its up to the kind of experience you personally want to have and what your own personal needs are. If you think you need more guidance, then Hunter may not be a good choice for you. However, if you are rather autonomous and good at creating connections with people whose opinions are valuable to you, then it may work out for you. 

NYC is a big place, so it is going to be a lot to adjust to if you haven't lived in a large city before. But it is also one of the easiest cities to figure out how to get around in- and you will never lack for inspiration. All three of those schools are in cities and Hunter is definitely the better bargain up front...

Ismewilde, thank you for your suggestions. Hunter has not provided a list of current grads that I can contact but I'm sure that if I email them, they will be forthcoming. 

I am looking forward to exploring NYC. I think I just want to get as many different perspective as possible. Relocating to the city and starting from scratch is something I've been mulling over for some time. I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. 

Oh, and congratulations to being accepted to Carnegie Mellon! It seems like a really great program.

I went to the open studios. There were a lot of students. Some of them were not so great and some of them were pretty good.

The facilities were pretty nice - a lot of the studios are shared but many of them have huge windows and are pretty big. I have had many friends who have gone there and none of them have complained about the size of the program or the inaccessibility of the professors. There were plenty of traditional painters (abstract and figurative) there so the interdisciplinary aspect of the program should not be a concern.

Hunter has produced the most interesting and well-known artists of all three schools (that is, the most interesting artists who got their MFAs there) and has the most interesting faculty. But it is unlikely that you will get as much one on one time due to the size. I did not choose to attend Hunter for that reason. But I would choose it over MICA and Temple due to its reputation and the quality of many of its graduates. I think Ismewild's advice is appropriate.

I know I'm being a snob but it just seems like MICA and Temple have not produced any particularly notable painters. No amount of hypothetical teacher interaction can mitigate that fact in my eyes. I'd rather bet on more independently fostering my own talent at a better school amongst more talented peers than being more intimately mentored by professors whose guidance has otherwise not generated much of an alumni presence in the art world.

Mlk, I noticed this as well. In speaking with the Director and researching the school, MICA appears to have many students that go on to become Fullbright Scholars. However, I had a hard time finding recent graduates that are represented in galleries. Also, it seems that the arts community in Baltimore sort of revolves around MICA. I've only spoken to a few of their students but I wonder if it is difficult to really establish yourself in the city once you graduate. Ditto for Temple.

Thank you for your insight. If you don't mind my asking, what school did you end up choosing?

• 2 weeks later...

I visited MICA, I'm now enrolled for the summer. The students and faculty seem close, and you get to choose who mentors you, which is pretty sweet. I got a really good deal, so not sure if finances are an issue for you.

• 11 months later...

I've only spoken to a few of their students but I wonder if it is difficult to really establish yourself in the city once you graduate. 

There are plenty of MICA students in NYC and they are showing in galleries. Maybe not Gagosian (except for Koons), but definitely MICA alum are represented in the smaller galleries on the LES, Chinatown.

I know this topic is relatively old. However, I think it's important to note that the current director of Hoffberger at MICA has only been in the position 5 years. To say that there are no "notable painters" coming out of the program specifically could be considered somewhat unfair considering it's an entirely different program than it was 5 years ago. Grace Hartigan was a pretty much strictly-figurative painter, which in today's art market is a little bit harder to stand out in - which would explain the lack of MICA grads in Chelsea, etc. 

Several of the painters who have graduated in the last 5 years from MICA are showing all around NYC already, and producing extremely strong work. The program at Hoffberger is much stronger now as it fosters and environment with a diversity in work that is fairly unique for a higher-ranking MFA program.

Carolyn Case is a MICA Mt. Royal graduate who is having a solo show in Chelsea opening this week

http://www.asyageisberggallery.com/index.php

However, I'd really caution people against choosing a school based on how many grads are showing in Chelsea. That's really a poor standard to measure the worth of a graduate program.

Also, it seems that the arts community in Baltimore sort of revolves around MICA. I've only spoken to a few of their students but I wonder if it is difficult to really establish yourself in the city once you graduate.