Seton Hall

My out-of-major GPA for my freshman and sophomore years in the Honors Program at Montclair State University was 3.65. I transferred to Stockton to major in speech pathology and currently have a GPA of 3.94. I took the GRE twice and my highest scores were 155 verbal, 153 quantitative, and 4.0 analytical writing. I had four strong letters of recommendation from speech/linguistics professors at Stockton, which I sent to various schools depending on deadlines and requirements. My resumé is packed with related experience and observation hours. I also have a very strong personal statement that tells my story and explains my best qualities but still answers all of the questions that admissions panels may want to know about me. I applied to twelve schools because I didn't expect to get in anywhere, and receiving so many offers was a bit shocking.

In the end, it's about how well you match up with the schools that you are applying to. I really did my research for each school and tailored my personal statements to prove that I knew specific details about the schools and faculties, their research and clinical focuses, and the opportunities that they have available. I think that including this information and relating it all to myself and my interests made me seem like a good fit at each school, which is why I received so many admission offers, interviews, and wait list seats.  If you want to see specific details from my statements, resumé, and a recommendation to compare them to yours, send me a private message and I will be happy to share them with you!

Thank you for all of the info!!!!!!! If I don't get into a program within the next week or so I will definitely message you.

Congratulations on your acceptances!! Are you planning on attending? I already accepted at another university so I will most likely be declining.

I already accepted another offer as well, at Montclair State University. I think this will be the case for a lot of their acceptees! They waited so long to send out their decisions.

Thank you for all of the info!!!!!!! If I don't get into a program within the next week or so I will definitely message you.

No problem!

Just received an email saying my application has been reviewed and they would like to know how I am going to complete the three prereqs. I didn't realize i'm missing three.  Any advice? I'm so nervous. I'm going to check the summer schedule at Montclair and online Phoenix class. 

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! 

I would also look into the Ohio State Summer Intensive Programs for speech and hearing sciences (all online courses). I took three prereqs there last summer and I believe they offer everything that Seton Hall requires. It's also not that expensive for out of state students either. It might be after the deadline to sign up, but it could be worth emailing the coordinator of the program. Good luck!

Just received an email saying my application has been reviewed and they would like to know how I am going to complete the three prereqs. I didn't realize i'm missing three. Any advice? I'm so nervous. I'm going to check the summer schedule at Montclair and online Phoenix class.

ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

@argslp, finjslp - Congratulations and best of luck at MSU and ESU respectively (And congrats to you both on all those acceptances - well done !!!)

@smrv - Are you going to attend Seton Hall?  Congratulations on getting all your acceptances, it's wonderful to have so many schools to choose from !!!

@avggg123, mk07157 - Same as the two of you, I am in limbo waiting to hear anything at all from SHU (I am assuming we're all on a wait list without ever being told by SHU we're on a wait list - or, more incredibly - could it be that they actually are reviewing apps in May for the 1st time, which were submitted as complete ... over three months ago?).

All - For schools like SHU that notify so late in the calendar (they did this in 2013 as well) - what are expectations at this time, considering so many candidates may have already accepted offers elsewhere and left deposits?  

Thank you Greyhound111! I was just thinking. I was accepted on April 22. The dean said that my packet was being mailed that day and I had ten days to submit an electronic deposit if I planned to attend. I haven't received the packet yet, but that would mean that the deposit is due on May 2. Maybe that will be when the next wave of acceptances is sent out.

[quote name="Greyhound111" post="1058143855" timestamp="

@smrv - Are you going to attend Seton Hall? Congratulations on getting all your acceptances, it's wonderful to have so many schools to choose from !!!

All - For schools like SHU that notify so late in the calendar (they did this in 2013 as well) - what are expectations at this time, considering so many candidates may have already accepted offers elsewhere and left deposits?

@argslp, finjslp - Congratulations and best of luck at MSU and ESU respectively (And congrats to you both on all those acceptances - well done !!!)

@smrv - Are you going to attend Seton Hall?  Congratulations on getting all your acceptances, it's wonderful to have so many schools to choose from !!!

@avggg123, mk07157 - Same as the two of you, I am in limbo waiting to hear anything at all from SHU (I am assuming we're all on a wait list without ever being told by SHU we're on a wait list - or, more incredibly - could it be that they actually are reviewing apps in May for the 1st time, which were submitted as complete ... over three months ago?).

Thank you so much!

According to the person who called from SHU, I have ten days to decide once I get the letter. It seems like it wasn't a good idea on their part to wait so long since so many people have already left deposits at other universities. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

@argslp, @ finjslp, @smrv - Thanks again for replying back to me so quickly !!!  Based on what you're all saying, if SHU waits 10 days until you get the Postal Mailing confirming the acceptance phone call, it's still going to be awhile.  If they have their reasons for waiting so long in the calendar, knowing that so many students are already accepted elsewhere, I'd love to know the method to their madness - either they'd be getting students accepted no where else yet, or they'd be getting students having to then decline previous acceptances to instead come to SHU ... pretty much it sounds like their 1st obligation is to their own undergraduates... which is understandable.

The Good news: I did (finally) get accepted off the wait list at one of the schools I applied to.  Happy times !!!

The Other news: That school is furthest from my home, more costly, and needs a deposit this week; SHU is closer to home (meaning I could commute) and less costly.

So I am going to send in my deposit to where I was accepted, without knowing when (or if) I'd hear back from SHU.  Not sure what else I can do here.  Believe it or not, having rejected me already may have been easier.

Any advice for me if SHU ends up accepting me ... 2 or 3 weeks from now, after I've sent in my deposit to the other school that did accept me?

Edited by Greyhound111

@argslp, @ finjslp, @smrv - Thanks again for replying back to me so quickly !!! Based on what you're all saying, if SHU waits 10 days until you get the Postal Mailing confirming the acceptance phone call, it's still going to be awhile. If they have their reasons for waiting so long in the calendar, knowing that so many students are already accepted elsewhere, I'd love to know the method to their madness - either they'd be getting students accepted no where else yet, or they'd be getting students having to then decline previous acceptances to instead come to SHU ... pretty much it sounds like their 1st obligation is to their own undergraduates... which is understandable.

The Good news: I did (finally) get accepted off the wait list at one of the schools I applied to. Happy times !!!

The Other news: That school is furthest from my home, more costly, and needs a deposit this week; SHU is closer to home (meaning I could commute) and less costly.

So I am going to send in my deposit to where I was accepted, without knowing when (or if) I'd hear back from SHU. Not sure what else I can do here. Believe it or not, having rejected me already may have been easier.

Any advice for me if SHU ends up accepting me ... 2 or 3 weeks from now, after I've sent in my deposit to the other school that did accept me?

Congrats to being accepted! Even if it's not the best option for you it's still an option and you are on your way to grad school which is really exciting! I would accept your offer at that school. If Seton Hall decides to accept you in a few weeks and it's a better option for you then you just have to let that school know that you recieved an offer that is better for you and put your deposit down for seton hall. You will probably lose your deposit from the other school though. I'm in a similiar situation since I still have not heard back from one of my top schools. I've heard that this happens often though because every school accepts at different times and because people start to be accepted off of wait lists.

I just received my official acceptance letter in the mail. I will be declining the offer since I just got accepted into my top choice. I wish all of you the best of luck and hopefully this will open up a spot for one of you!

I just received my official acceptance letter in the mail. I will be declining the offer since I just got accepted into my top choice. I wish all of you the best of luck and hopefully this will open up a spot for one of you!

My heart sunk for a second when I read this post, but then I realized you were accepted a few weeks ago lol. Congratulations on getting into your top choice, that is really awesome! Thank you and thanks for sharing this information with us!!! Good luck in grad school!!!