SSHRC-CGS-M Results for UofT (University of Toronto)

milarepa

Has UofT posted their SSHRC Master's offers yet? I got an offer from UofC...but so far doesn't look like I'm getting one at UofT...unless they haven't posted them yet? It would be helpful to hear from someone who has been offered a SSHRC CGS-M at UofT to put my mind to rest. Thanks!

I got an SSHRC at UofT as well, seconds after posting my original post.

I hope I can answer your question about the grant. I have yet to receive an offer from UofT, but UofT offers guaranteed minimum funding of about 20000 bucks for my program...so since I have received a SSHRC, that may provide them some extra incentive to offer me admission, as they would only need to give me the difference between the SSHRC and the guaranteed minimum funding...and Universities like to save their money! 

That said, it really depends where you have applied, whether guaranteed minimum funding is on the table as a part of a potential offer...I have heard of people getting SSHRCs and then not getting accepted by their desired program of study. If you got a SSHRC, I would be more optimistic than not that you would get an offer. One thing you can do is to go to the SSHRC website, look at whether anyone in the program you are applying to has got SSHRC grants...you should be able to search over the last ten years at least...it will tell you the names and topics of successful SSHRC grants in that department over the years. This can give you an idea of how common it is for students to receive SSHRCs...just an added dimension to making a judgment about what is going on. I would suggest that, if you feel comfortable, call the University, tell them you have been offered a SSHRC and that you have to decline or accept in the next few weeks, thus you NEED to know whether you are going to be offered admission to your program. That might give them a boot in the ass to at least start communicating with you about it.

I hope that is helpful...it is in no way DIRECTLY tied to you getting an offer, but often students who are able to produce a successful SSHRC application are also those who are competitive candidates for grad programs. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I got an SSHRC at UofT as well, seconds after posting my original post.

I hope I can answer your question about the grant. I have yet to receive an offer from UofT, but UofT offers guaranteed minimum funding of about 20000 bucks for my program...so since I have received a SSHRC, that may provide them some extra incentive to offer me admission, as they would only need to give me the difference between the SSHRC and the guaranteed minimum funding...and Universities like to save their money! 

That said, it really depends where you have applied, whether guaranteed minimum funding is on the table as a part of a potential offer...I have heard of people getting SSHRCs and then not getting accepted by their desired program of study. If you got a SSHRC, I would be more optimistic than not that you would get an offer. One thing you can do is to go to the SSHRC website, look at whether anyone in the program you are applying to has got SSHRC grants...you should be able to search over the last ten years at least...it will tell you the names and topics of successful SSHRC grants in that department over the years. This can give you an idea of how common it is for students to receive SSHRCs...just an added dimension to making a judgment about what is going on. I would suggest that, if you feel comfortable, call the University, tell them you have been offered a SSHRC and that you have to decline or accept in the next few weeks, thus you NEED to know whether you are going to be offered admission to your program. That might give them a boot in the ass to at least start communicating with you about it.

I hope that is helpful...it is in no way DIRECTLY tied to you getting an offer, but often students who are able to produce a successful SSHRC application are also those who are competitive candidates for grad programs. Good luck!

Hey I got a SSHRC from UofT as well. Just to clarify a few points about the minimum funding package at UofT... you are right the university likes it when students get SSHRC becuase it gives them an opportunity to save $$. At the same time, it is compeletely within your right to negociate an offer - I did to make sure that I got above and beyond the minimum funding package. Almost every department offers a "top-up" for SSHRC holders between $2-3k.