Historian of prisons

Averroes MD

Hi,

I'm in theology not history but the topic I'm writing on involves some knowledge of the history of prisons. Does anyone here know of any historians that have specialized knowledge in this area? Especially a historian who knows about the history of prisons in the non-western world?

Also, any such person at Harvard (which is where I will be studying the fall)?

Thank you.

I'm a student at Binghamton University, and we have an Ottomanist, Dr. Kent Schull. He specializes in Ottoman history, and has a book coming out shortly about Ottoman prisons during the 19th century.

Can't help you with Harvard though, but I hope this helps!

I'm a student at Binghamton University, and we have an Ottomanist, Dr. Kent Schull. He specializes in Ottoman history, and has a book coming out shortly about Ottoman prisons during the 19th century.

Can't help you with Harvard though, but I hope this helps!

Hey, that helps a lot! Thank you! I will see if his email is available online...

Edit: yep his email is online and he is exactly the type of person I was looking for. Thank you!!!

Edited by Averroes MD

You're welcome (forgive my horrible repetition of the fact that he's an Ottomanist stuyding Ottoman history... it's that time in the semester). He's super easy to approach and talk to, so don't worry about emailing him!

Edited by Kelkel