Studying in Cairo

I got accepted into the American University in Cairo for a Master's in Middle Eastern Studies. I've never been to Egypt, but I look forward to living in the Middle East for the first time. Many people have told me cautionary tales because I am female, I'll be moving there alone, and can only speak basic Arabic, but this doesn't seem to trouble me. Can anyone give me first hand accounts of the city or the school? Shukran.

• 2 weeks later...

Lunasea, I'm Egyptian, though not from Cairo, but i've been there a lot. Don't worry about being a female in Cairo. I'm a female myself so i can tell. Cairo will probably be the safest place you have ever been to, mainly because it is very very crowded. Just take care that the Egyptian community is a conservative one. So, if you are walking alone downtown, a skimpy top or a mini skirt will get you stared almost by everyone passing by. But don't worry, these guys are harmless. AUC has recently moved to a new campus in New Cairo, which is a little bit far but i know that it provides daily bus services from downtown. The other thing you should know is that fees for most services including taxi fares are negotiable , so there will be a lot of people who will think you are a tourist and will try to charge you 50 times the price. Ask an Egyptian about the average fare before you take a taxi. People are very friendly here. Feel free to ask me about anything specific.

Thanks so much for your help! Most of the "insight" I've received has been from those who have not been to Egypt, so making a decision has been difficult. I have a question about travel. If I am dressed appropriately, and can speak basic Arabic, would it be unwise for me to travel to Alexandria for a weekend by myself? Or even travel elsewhere in the Middle East or North Africa? Hopefully I'll have made friends who would want to travel with me! But I am trying to prepare myself for how limited I will/will not be in my independant endeavors.