Masters in Biology: Thesis vs. Non-thesis for Dental School

fortblankets

I'm applying to Biology Master Programs to improve my resume for Dental School. I've noticed there are usually two options: thesis vs. non-thesis. Some schools state that the non-thesis program is geared towards students who plan to study Medicine or Dentistry, but does that mean that the non-thesis is preferred over the research-based thesis program?

Thanks for your help!

I doubt it matters that much. I am actually planning on going for a phd and I was even advised to go no thesis since I am already involved enough in a lab that I will definitely get 1st author pubs before applying. The downside of the thesis option is that it may end up taking longer than 2 years and you can get reserach experience without doing the thesis. I was also told that standard publications can be better than a thesis since grad schools are more likely to read them. Also, you may be better off taking the extra classes that you would get with no thesis option since med and dental schools seem to put a lot of emphasis on coursework and grades.

I'm applying to Biology Master Programs to improve my resume for Dental School. I've noticed there are usually two options: thesis vs. non-thesis. Some schools state that the non-thesis program is geared towards students who plan to study Medicine or Dentistry, but does that mean that the non-thesis is preferred over the research-based thesis program?

Thanks for your help!

I think a thesis option would be better. You can always apply to dental schools and PhD schools with a thesis-based Masters. However, you couldn't do the same with a non-thesis-based Masters. I mean, it's not that you can't do it, but it would make you a less competitive applicant in comparison to other applicants with a thesis-based Masters...Unless you really luck out and are able to produce 1 first authored paper before you apply. 

I think a thesis option would be better. You can always apply to dental schools and PhD schools with a thesis-based Masters. However, you couldn't do the same with a non-thesis-based Masters. I mean, it's not that you can't do it, but it would make you a less competitive applicant in comparison to other applicants with a thesis-based Masters...Unless you really luck out and are able to produce 1 first authored paper before you apply.

In our opinion, if you can get a first author paper or two then does the thesis matter for phd programs? My advisor seems to think that papers > thesis so I shouldn't worry so I was planning on the no thesis route.

Considering that PhD programs take people right out of undergrad, I'm surprised at the idea that doing a thesis or non-thesis MS matters. Either way you're going to have more experience than the majority of admitted students.