Accepted by department, then rejected by graduate school?

kittyk

I think I saw a thread like this somewhere, but can't seem to find it. I received unofficial notification that I was recommended for admission by the department I applied to (email from grad officer in the department - I communicated with her throughout application process and called her 2 days earlier to check on decision). Of course, she indicated that I should await final decision from the School of Graduate Studies in a couple weeks.

Has anyone ever been 'accepted' by department, only to be rejected by Graduate School. How common is this? I don't want to get too excited, only to be let down.

It's definitely happened before but it's really uncommon. I would only be (somewhat) concerned if you have a super low gpa or disciplinary action on your transcript or something--stuff will make the School question your ability. Otherwise, the Graduate School is probably just taking its time...

As obaka said, not common for the Graduate School to reject you... only if someone has done something very wrong (lied on transcripts, GPA below minimum requirement, warrant out for your arrest, etc) would the Grad School reject someone.

Hi kittyk- So I actually just recently had this happen to me! I was contacted by the graduate admissions director for the department I applied to and told that the department was offering me admission and had forwarded the decision to the graduate school, and that I should expect to hear officially from the graduate soon after. Two weeks later, I hadn't heard anything, and upon logging into the online system, I saw I was rejected. 

I ended up calling the department and the graduate school admissions office, and after a lot of waiting and phone tag, I found out that the rejection notice was due to a clerical error. So in my case, it ended up that I was actually admitted. From everything I was told and read while panicking, it seems really rare.

This happened to someone I know.  The department extended an offer of admission, but my buddy was rejected by the graduate school for not meeting their minimum GPA requirements.  Ultimately, the department fought for them and got them a spot in the class so it worked out.

Thanks for the responses guys. I feel a bit more at ease, but I can't wait to get the official notification. I'm keeping this news to myself until I get that letter.

Hi kittyk- So I actually just recently had this happen to me! I was contacted by the graduate admissions director for the department I applied to and told that the department was offering me admission and had forwarded the decision to the graduate school, and that I should expect to hear officially from the graduate soon after. Two weeks later, I hadn't heard anything, and upon logging into the online system, I saw I was rejected. 

I ended up calling the department and the graduate school admissions office, and after a lot of waiting and phone tag, I found out that the rejection notice was due to a clerical error. So in my case, it ended up that I was actually admitted. From everything I was told and read while panicking, it seems really rare.

I think yours was the post I saw related to this issue. Glad to know it all worked out for you. Congrats!

Thanks! I hope you hear from the grad school soon! I would really think that unless there's a major issue you'll be admitted, but I understand completely wanting to be cautious! Let us know how it turns out!