UC Grad Student Strikes

Glasperlenspieler

Does anybody know anything about this: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2014/04/university-of-california-grad-student-works-on-strike.html ????

I'm wondering if this has affected philosophy departments at all and whether or not those of us who have offers or wait-lists from UC schools should be concerned.

Does anybody know anything about this: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2014/04/university-of-california-grad-student-works-on-strike.html ????

I'm wondering if this has affected philosophy departments at all and whether or not those of us who have offers or wait-lists from UC schools should be concerned.

It's hard to say whether specific students in the philosophy departments across the schools are actually participating, but I'm not sure what the strike would do to the departments themselves?

As for people with acceptances, as long as your acceptance is definitely funded, I would take this to be a good sign. Generally, a strike leads directly to new contract negotiations and gives the union a great deal of leverage to get what they want. The strike will likely (hopefully?) results in better working conditions for grad students across the system, and perhaps better pay (although that doesn't seem to be the main issue in this case). For waitlisted students, it's probably a little murkier; I could see how departments might be unwilling to dip into the waitlist if they think having a smaller class this year might be beneficial for the department if costs increase. But it's also possible departments will be unaffected and will not change their planned enrollment size. 

Edited by perpetuavix

It's hard to say whether specific students in the philosophy departments across the schools are actually participating, but I'm not sure what the strike would do to the departments themselves?

As for people with acceptances, as long as your acceptance is definitely funded, I would take this to be a good sign. Generally, a strike leads directly to new contract negotiations and gives the union a great deal of leverage to get what they want. The strike will likely (hopefully?) results in better working conditions for grad students across the system, and perhaps better pay (although that doesn't seem to be the main issue in this case). For waitlisted students, it's probably a little murkier; I could see how departments might be unwilling to dip into the waitlist if they think having a smaller class this year might be beneficial for the department if costs increase. But it's also possible departments will be unaffected and will not change their planned enrollment size. 

I agree with this. I can't imagine this working out to the detriment of future students. Only as-good-as-it-has-been or better.