How to train to be a chaplain? Can this be done during MTS?

Averroes MD

This really depends on your denominational requirements. Not all positions require board certification but more and more are. That said, if you want to be certified, you will be required to be accepted/endorsed by your denomination.

The beginning process for this, if you want to be taken seriously, is to spend a summer of full time work completing a CPE unit. That entails about 10 weeks of 40 hours a week working under a certified CPE supervisor. If a summer of this isn't an option a lot of hospitals and placement opportunities offer extended CPE units where you'll work for about 20 hours a week for about 16-20 weeks.

If you do this and love it, there are further opportunities such as chaplain residencies that last a year. The bonus is that you get paid though the pay varies from program to program. Some in the mid 20s and some in the higher 40s. Some of this is due to location, though applicants that did their initial CPE in a Level 1 Trauma hospital favor better, overall.

I was fortunate enough that I was able to compete my initial CPE while still in undergrad. This is incredibly rare but it happened because my priest is head of pastoral care for a regional hospital chain and they had someone drop after the application season had closed. Plus he was willing to vouch for my maturity.

If you have more specific questions I'm certainly capable of answering them and referring you too other resources. Toss me a PM.

I know many 'Reverends' who merely bought the title....

If you're talking about the title "chaplain," I very much doubt this, since full-time healthcare chaplaincy requires board certification (4 CPE units, which is 1600 hours) in addition to an MDiv. If you're talking about being a "reverend," I don't see what that has to do with the OP's question. Anyone can become "ordained" online and perform legal weddings. That doesn't fly for chaplaincy though.

To the OP, "chaplain" is a relatively ambiguous term. The requirements for hospital vs. military vs. school (campus ministry) will vary depending on the particular wants or needs of a given institution, particularly its religious affiliation if any. Apart particular requirements re: ordination, a MTS with an intentional focus on or interest in practical theology accompanied by relevant ministry experience will not really put you at a disadvantage. On the other hand, an MTS where you spent all of your credit hours studying Aquinas and Scotus and Eudaimonism and political theology while dedicating your summers to learning German and Latin may actually put you at a disadvantage, at least on the resume/CV level....