lots of experience...but with a lower GPA?

Hi all!

I'm currently a 26 y.o. post-bac student at PSU finishing up my classes and applying to grad schools in the fall, and I'm really curious about your experiences in applying to grad programs, and how you think each school viewed your grades vs. work experience?

Here's my situation...

Grades: a much less than average undergrad GPA in political science (3.1), and so far a cumulative post-bac GPA of 3.4...so definitely not strong on the grades.

Experience: 6+ cumulative years -- with really positive references -- doing everything from working up from a volunteer to an admin. at a residential camp for kids and adults with special needs, to several years of working as an ABA therapist in a multitude of settings (private residential school, public elementary school, home-based, early intervention).

I know I'm good at the work I do, and eventhough I'm not the best student, I do really love school and try hard (yay for slow processors!)...so I've been really nervous in applying to grad school, because all I hear about is grades grades grades and very little about work experience, which really frustrates me.

Is/was anyone else in this boat when they applied to grad school?  Your experiences would be much appreciated!