International student wants to do MFA Creative Writing

MsLin

Hi,

I'm a student in Europe (Non-native English) and I'm getting my Master's degree in English (more or less the same as a 4 year bachelor degree in the US) in June 2015 and I really want to do a MFA Creative Writing. However, I have so many questions, so I hope some of you can help me. 

International student

So Like I said, English isn't my native language, but I've been learning it since I was 5 and always had extremely good grades in school. I'm absolutely in love with the language, so it was normal I went to study it in college. I just feel it.  I also love writing and reading. I've been reading English books since I was 13 and you can capture so more in English than in my own language. I've been writing for a few years now, in my own language but also in English (I've published a few stories on Fanfiction.net).

But is it really possible for a non-native speaker to write in English? Are there students who did do a MFA Creative Writing and what are your experiences? 

Tuition

I know it's very expensive to study, especially compared to my country. For my entire 4 years of study, my tuition will be 2000 euros, which is like 2.500-3.000 dollars. So you can probably think it's very crazy to think I could be paying up to 8.000 dollars a semester. However, I heard there are like scholarships and financial aid, but I'm not entirely sure what all that is. So if anyone could explain me a bit, that would be a great help. Are there other types of funding? Also, do you need to pay the tuition in one payment, or is it possible to do it like monthly or something?

Low-residency or completely online?

I've completely ruled out full-residency, because that's completely impossible for me, because I want to start (part-time) teaching in my home country after I have graduated university. So that leaves me with low residency and online. I've understood that the number of residencies differs from school to school and rangers from 2 to 5-6 over 2 years grad school. That’s possible for me and I think that's the best option for me, although I've heard about completely online programs. Anyone has experience with that? 

What are some good schools for a low-residency and online program? 

Applying

From my knowledge I've learnt through TV-shows and films, I've understood that there are deadlines to apply. So if would want to start grad school in the fall of 2015, the deadline would be what? December 2014? January 2015. Just to get an idea of what I should expect...

From what I've learned through research, you need to have a portfolio of your writing (up to 10 pages maybe for fiction), letter(s) of recommendation, apply fee, basic form, anything else I'm missing? 

I don't really understand the concept of letters of recommendation. Is it like from a college professor? Or could it just be your neighbor? 

And regarding the apply fee, how much is it average? And I'm guessing it is non-refundable?

I think these are all the questions I have for now and will greatly help me progress my search in finding the right school and all. 

It doesn't really matter if I don't start directly after I finish my degree here, I've got all the time I need, but I do want it to do the right way. 

Thank you so much!

- Lin

I can't answer as fully as I'd like right now but just writing here so I can have later access to this thread, when I can answer more fully. I came to the US 5 years ago, and knew little English before that. I was accepted to 2 great, highly ranked MFA programs and waitlisted at another. So it's certainly doable as a non-native speaker. If you get into a decent program, you not only won't have to pay tuition, but will receive a livable stipend in exchange for teaching. So you'd get to teach part time AND attend a full-residency program!

I'd also suggest joining the MFA Draft group on facebook; it's the best resource. It's a closed group, but they'll let you join if you ask.

Agree on the full residency comment, but if you're determined to stay in your home country, some things to keep in mind:

Low-residencies are usually a little less competitive on admissions, but they also have far worse funding. I'm told a couple of schools offer some full-rides (I think New England College even offers an online TAship to some admits) but generally if you're doing a low-residency, you'll need to pay tuition.

In terms of reputation, Warren Wilson seems to have the largest following. I'm told Bennington is quite good, and of course Oxford has a great low-res. Again, funding is limited and varies. I'm not a low-res person, so this is a little out of my comfort zone, but I do know a little bit. 

Payment of tuition varies by the school. Some will let you work out a payment plan, others will make you pay a small amount to reserve a slot and then a huge chunk all at ones. In my experiences the bursar departments always have some flexibility available, so it's best to just ask if you're accepted somewhere. 

• 9 months later...

Hi everybody!

I decided to bump this topic instead of starting a similar one. My brother is interested in applying for an MFA in Creative Writing. English is not our first language as well. Nor has he lived in an English-speaking country. But he translates fiction. What kind of manuscripts do people usually present? Will it help him that he has some short stories and translation. Also, i am going to study in Milwaukee. Of course we would prefer to live together (foreign country for the first time, you know). Is their program good?

Hi everybody!

I decided to bump this topic instead of starting a similar one. My brother is interested in applying for an MFA in Creative Writing. English is not our first language as well. Nor has he lived in an English-speaking country. But he translates fiction. What kind of manuscripts do people usually present? Will it help him that he has some short stories and translation. Also, i am going to study in Milwaukee. Of course we would prefer to live together (foreign country for the first time, you know). Is their program good?

Well, the manuscript you might present can depend on the school and what genre you're applying to: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and writing for children (these are the most common available.) Assuming though, as you mentioned fiction, that he himself is interested in fiction, I would suggest either to submit two to three short stories (his absolute strongest work) or an excerpt from a novel. You can also try a combination of short story and novel. However, I should warn, most schools like to see three short stories or less. Submitting more than three short stories in a manuscript is generally looked upon badly. I assume this is because most manuscripts average about 30,000 to 40,000 words. Several universities recommend not using short stories under 10,000 words. This is probably because anything shorter can't reveal enough to the universities about one's writing ability. Also, the university needs to see one can write for both quality and length. Always be sure to read specific guidelines from the individual university though regarding manuscripts.

As to what specifically to submit for stories, there is no right or wrong. Submit the absolutes best work available. I've heard of submitting genre fiction to personal narratives. I personally submitted two personal narratives and one fictional mystery piece to most the universities which I applied to. To a few schools though, I submitted a personal narrative and an excerpt from young adult novel. Never submit writing geared towards children or young adults unless it's to a writing for children program such as at the New School or Chatham University.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

Assuming though, as you mentioned fiction, that he himself is interested in fiction, I would suggest either to submit two to three short stories (his absolute strongest work) or an excerpt from a novel. You can also try a combination of short story and novel. However, I should warn, most schools like to see three short stories or less. Submitting more than three short stories in a manuscript is generally looked upon badly. I assume this is because most manuscripts average about 30,000 to 40,000 words. Several universities recommend not using short stories under 10,000 words. This is probably because anything shorter can't reveal enough to the universities about one's writing ability. Also, the university needs to see one can write for both quality and length. Always be sure to read specific guidelines from the individual university though regarding manuscripts.

Thank you! Yes, we meant fiction. He only writes short stories (both in English and first lang), so maybe he'll try to apply in a couple of years.

Good luck with your studies and writing!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Low-residency or completely online?

I've completely ruled out full-residency, because that's completely impossible for me, because I want to start (part-time) teaching in my home country after I have graduated university. So that leaves me with low residency and online. I've understood that the number of residencies differs from school to school and rangers from 2 to 5-6 over 2 years grad school. That’s possible for me and I think that's the best option for me, although I've heard about completely online programs. Anyone has experience with that? 

What are some good schools for a low-residency and online program? 

Applying

From my knowledge I've learnt through TV-shows and films, I've understood that there are deadlines to apply. So if would want to start grad school in the fall of 2015, the deadline would be what? December 2014? January 2015. Just to get an idea of what I should expect...

From what I've learned through research, you need to have a portfolio of your writing (up to 10 pages maybe for fiction), letter(s) of recommendation, apply fee, basic form, anything else I'm missing? 

I don't really understand the concept of letters of recommendation. Is it like from a college professor? Or could it just be your neighbor? 

And regarding the apply fee, how much is it average? And I'm guessing it is non-refundable?

I have been an international student for several years now, so I can answer some questions.

Online or low-residency are not valid options for you if you seek visa sponsorship (which you would, if you're not a US citizen or a green card holder.) You'll need to be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours per semester, and only 3 can be online. When applying, you'll most likely need to get all your foreign transcripts converted through a service (usually a company called WES is used), and this is fairly costly, so prepare for that.