Check out this one: Master of Public Policy -- CMU vs USC

Carnegie Mellon University has a more quantitative program, great CS courses which I love, plus, financial aid of $4000 per semester. I think the total cost here is a little bit lower than in LA.

University of Southern California has a better location, thus better oppotunities to find a job, I assume. 

I think I want to work in a large city after graduation. It doesn't have to be LA -- NYC or else are also great. I'm slightly leaning towards CMU, but some friends there told me that I should not go to Pittsburg.

Another factor: I got waitlisted by Columbia, Cornell and Georgetown. (All MPP/MPA programs). If I choose CMU, The possibility I go to those three universities is kinda over because of the 415 agreement.

Guys, what do you think I should do? When it comes to areas like public policy, is it very important that I stay in a large city for networking? Is it worthwhile that I give up CMU for those waitlisted universities? Looking forward to your answers. Thanks!

Edited by drinkingtoomuchwater

Cost of living for Pittsburg is waaaay lower than Los Angeles. I had a friend who went to CMU and bought a house, because it was a better investment than renting an apartment. Unheard of in California!

I can't speak to Pittsburg as a city, but you will also be in close proximity to many other major cities in the NE (NYC, DC, Boston, Philly, etc).

USC is a great school, and I would love to argue for USC, but it sounds like you know you want CMU.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use