applying to master in Economics, need some advice

yunmi

Hi, everyone

I am a junior student(international student) majoring in economics and minoring in math at a really ordinary university. My overall GPA is 3.6(first year GPA is low...), Major GPA is around 3.9, and I am in honors writing a thesis on housing bubble. I have taken two semesters of calculus, one semester of vector calculus, linear algebra, discrete math, intro to statistics, probability and statistics, topology, and real analysis. also I have taken econometrics, intro to mathmatical economics, and microeconomics with caluclus to strength my math background. 

What are my chances of getting into top master programs in economics? LSE, cornell, NYU, UMichigan are my dream schools, but they accept very few students and most applicants are very competitive.

Edited by yunmi

What is your goal after getting a Master's degree? What are your grades in math courses and which econ courses did you take? Who are your letter of recommendation writers? What does "a really ordinary university" mean? Does your university have a history of placing students in those programs? Where does your GPA place you relative to your peers? 

• 1 month later...