Problems in UMN?

seas

Hey everyone,

So I have been reading the topic "Cool geography programs" which dates back to 2009. While reading, I came across a post by 92nats that mentioned the UofMN:

I have also heard recently from two sources that Minnesota still suffers from some internal boloney that makes being a student there a drag. If anyone out there can refute that, please do because I don't want to be disparaging, but I don't want to encourage folks to go there if it's a hard place to be still.

Does anyone know if it is still the case? What was (is) going on there? I heard that MN used to be one of the leading departments in the nation in the 90s but it wintessed a decline in the past decade. Please advise as I have been admitted there and want to find out as much information as I can before I make a decision. Your perspective will be extremely appreciated. 

I feel the department is out of the rough patch they experienced during the early to mid 2000s. On my visit, faculty and students made it a point to address this history and that they feel they are back on track. In terms of political economy, t Eric Sheppard and Helga Leitner leaving was huge. Recent hiring though, in feminist political economy and cultural geography, are a definite step in the right direction. In my opinion, things seem to be thin in terms of faculty and number of students on the physical geography side. But overall, the department recently hired 3 new faculty which is a good sign.

I will be attending in the Fall!!!