Zurich, Switzerland

A Snappy Dresser

Well, it's in Switzerland, and it's supposed to be nice. I was there once on vacation, and I recall it being extremely expensive but that's all I really remember. What's it like? How's the housing situation for rentals? What do people do? What are they like? How do they get around? Where do students hang out/live? What can't I find there that I might miss?

• 2 years later...

Well, it's in Switzerland, and it's supposed to be nice. I was there once on vacation, and I recall it being extremely expensive but that's all I really remember. What's it like? How's the housing situation for rentals? What do people do? What are they like? How do they get around? Where do students hang out/live? What can't I find there that I might miss?

This post is pretty old, but I am also moving to Zurich and I have the same kind of questions.

I'm especially worried about the housing situation, since most places seem to require one to visit in advance before renting, which is impossible for me.

• 3 weeks later...

If it still helps:

So I grew up in Zurich, now I know Palo Alto pretty well. When I came to Palo Alto, I found a lot of things pretty cheap, in particular food (about half as expensive as in Zurich) and transportation (about 2/3 as expensive as in Zurich). I found housing to be quite expensive, though, it might actually be about 1.2 as expensive as in Zurich.

Quality of life is extremely high in Zurich, safety is never an issue. You find everything you could ask for, lots of green spaces, lots of different kinds of food, a vibrant party scene, international artists visiting... and particular for Americans, for whom I suppose 1.5 hours is a quick drive, about half of Switzerland is close by.

Really the only two things that could potentially make you unhappy is the hight prices and the lack of sunshine in the winter. But for the latter there's always the mountains where the sun shines much more often.

• 3 years later...

Hello Everyone,

I have happily accepted the admission offer of ETH Zurich CIS Master program. The program starts in September.

I live in Lausanne with family and have to find flatmates/roommates for Mondays and Tuesday nights which I will be in Zurich for the incoming semester.

If anyone is also a newcomer of ETH here and didn't get the student housing, and searches for housing options, lemme know!

Thanks  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I have happily accepted the admission offer of ETH Zurich CIS Master program. The program starts in September.

I live in Lausanne with family and have to find flatmates/roommates for Mondays and Tuesday nights which I will be in Zurich for the incoming semester.

If anyone is also a newcomer of ETH here and didn't get the student housing, and searches for housing options, lemme know!

Thanks  ;)

Feri,

Hi, I'm joining ETH this semester as a visiting student starting September 1, 2014 and I keep running into stone walls searching for accommodation. Did you find a place for yourself yet?

Any direction you could provide me in this regard would be helpful. If you have any contacts who could help, that would be even better!

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 7:09 PM, MMM21 said:

So I have been admitted to Masters program at ETH Zurich.. Does anyone have any idea how much it'll cost approx. to live in Zurich?

Room is 500-700 CHF, small apartment from 900 CHF, depending on how close it is from the city centre. Food I lived with 300-500 CHF/mo. Add your health insurance, internet, phone, electricity etc. and it's safe to say you'll need about 1500 CHF/mo at the least.