MPA - Cornell CIPA vs AU SPA vs Brown Taubman

Shanthanu

Hi,

I'm Shan, an International Applicant. I have admits for MPA, Masters in Public Administration from Cornell's CIPA, American University's School of Public Affairs. And waiting on Brown's decision.

American University's SPA's MPA program seems to have a very good ranking in the usnews rankings (12th to be precise). In comparison, Cornell's program and Brown's are present much lower in the rankings. (37 and 53 respectively). 

But, obviously, there is the fact that these two are Ivy league whereas AU is relatively much lesser known in terms of reputation. 

The fees seem to be almost the same. In addition, Cornell is giving me a fellowship aid of 20%. 

I would really appreciate suggestions and opinions from fellow grad school applicants or people who are studying or have already graduated with an MPA degree. 

Thanks

What do you hope to get from your degree? What are your research interests? Will there be a practicum or internship included? Without any of those questions answered I would say that Washington D.C. and #12 seems like the obvious choice if you want to learn more about the US political environment and get a job in D.C. Cornell might be right if you are looking to continue on into academia, especially if you have your eyes on another discipline and want to leverage the Cornell name, plus the money sounds great. Brown doesn't seem that attractive given that it is #53. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.