Do some language courses exempt you from language exams?

Macrina

I am wondering if taking certain graduate-level language classes will get me out of potential language exams. I'm signed up for a yearlong pass/fail course (two separate classes) beginning next fall and the instructor mentioned in passing that it was designed for students like me to get us through to doctoral level language competency and that I would then be able to avoid the usual language exam.

Does this seem right? It didn't sink in until after I had finished speaking with the instructor, so I figured I would ask here before going back to them :)

I had no idea there was a way to not have to write language exams...

Thanks!

I've been told by some Adcoms that should I take Princeton's summer course(s) for German and French reading proficiency, that the course would allow me to bypass their exam.

Presumably if they're willing to do it for one program, there's others as well though I don't know of any off the top of my head. Obviously the DGS/Chair for your department would.

It really depends on both the school and the department. At Northwestern, if a department has a language requirement, competency is always via exam. Some departments have their own. I had to go to UofC to do mine...

So you should check with whatever schools you end up getting in to.

Thanks folks. Drat. It appears that the course I'm taking is used to exempt students from the institution's language exam. Only I have no intention of applying to that institution for doctoral level work, and I may not be able to use it where I hope to go. Oh well, it's a good course, was suggested by my POI, and costs about $5k less than the same language taught at a lower level at my current institution.