working during school?

savannahbee

i'm starting a full time MSW program in the fall and am trying to get everything sorted out. one item on my agenda is figuring out my work schedule. i will be able to stay at my current job with a fair amount of flexibility, but my boss is asking me how many hours a week i'll be able to work. I know that with a full classload and practicum, working more than 20 hours a week would be ridiculous but is 20 too much?

I know there's no hard and fast rule...i'm just looking for opinions and guidance.

can anyone help me out?

I worked During my MSW, as a relief worker for a community mental halth agency. It was fine. While doing your practicum/internship it can get busy but it's worth it. You finish with the MSW and more experience.

I worked During my MSW, as a relief worker for a community mental halth agency. It was fine. While doing your practicum/internship it can get busy but it's worth it. You finish with the MSW and more experience.

did you work full-time? you said you were a relief worker, so i'm guessing not...i know there's no way i could work full time and go to school full time, at least not at my current job, so i'm trying to figure out a manageable amount of hours.

MemorialCare has social worker jobs available maybe check them out for pt jobs. I agree 20 hours a week is the limit for working when going to school. I tried working fulltime and going to school evenings but that was grooling.

i already have a full-time job in the field that can be transitioned to part time when school starts. my boss is asking me about how many hours i'll be able to work and i'm trying to figure out what's manageable. i will definitely say no more than 20!

asteven- were you attending school full time? One think that attracts me to the msw is that there are so many part time options, especially for the foundational year(s).

No, I was only attending evening classes in the beginning. My job at the time was a bit stressful so that added to it. If I were to do it again I would have worked pt and attended school ft would have been quickere