UPenn vs. McGill for Master of Biotechnology Fall 2014

Guha93

Hey guys.

I have been admitted into UPenn and McGill for their Master of Biotechnology programs for Fall 2014. I am an international student from India. I've been doing some serious groundwork on these two schools on the basis of subjects, labs, the cities associated and so on. I am having a very tough time making a decision. 

Just giving a brief explanation below:

1. University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia): Master of Biotechnology (can complete anytime within a year to two) (admitted in december, received I-20 in Jan)
Tuition fees is $64k. The coursework is very flexible and there is an abundance of choice. However there seems to be a lack of jobs for the graduates out of this program based on what I've heard from people there and that is quite scary since we're paying that much. Given that there is no thesis it is said to be tougher to get a PhD at a good EU institution. 

2. McGill University (Montreal, Canada): Master of Science Applied (Non-Thesis) in Biotechnology (16 month program) (Admitted in March mid)
Tuition fees is around $29k (Canadian) , which is comparatively VERY low. The coursework is well structured and there are good concentrations. Graduating from a Canadian Uni makes getting a permanent residency easier it seems and hence a job. And Montreal is said to be a fantastic city.

I could do with some help based on the prospects after these schools of getting a job. 

Looking for whatever help I can get. Thanks in advance.

I agree 100%. Not to mention, if you ever want to work in the US, McGill is well recognized and considered to be an Ivy league school by Americans. That's the cheapest "Ivy" tuition you'll ever come across.

Don't spend $64 K on an education.  That is my opinion.  And McGill is an amazing school.

Just noticed it's is a non-thesis program. Do you want to do a PhD at some point in time? This could be a problem if you don't complete a thesis so you should investigate this first. Congrats and best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I do want to do a PhD after my Masters. I initially wanted to go ahead to try looking for a job. Lets just say I am okay to doing both right now.

McGill doesn't have a thesis but it has an internship component i.e a research project. The same way, UPenn has an independent study concept similar to this. 

Neither of the options have a THESIS as such. 

Sorry for the late reply. I had just seen this. Couldn't find the post earlier. 

Many Americans come to McGill because of its brand recognition and because it is cheaper for them to pay international student fees than in state or out of state fees in the US... McGill is #1 in Canada and very well known in the world. I think this would be your safest bet.