2 Research Projects... Great or not cool?

bsharpe269

Hi All,

I am a masters student who will be applying for phd programs this fall. I have been working with a lab since september and have been offered a summer position. I am doing a ton of work for the lab and am as involved as the phd students. I recently did a poster for a graduate symposium and plan to have a publication and national conference before appllying to phd programs. I want to stay in this same subfield for phd reserach.

So as I mentioned, I will be working in the lab this summer and hopefully will be able to get a lot further with the reserach without classes as a distraction. There is another professor on campus who I get along with well and am loving his class. I have considered volunteering on a small side project over the summer (like 10 hours a week) with this other professor in addition to my primary research (40-50 hours per week over summer). This could help with my LOR from this professor and expose me to something completely different.

So the question: Is it OK to ask my primary advisor if I can pick up a 2nd small project over the summer if it doesnt affect my work in the first lab? Is this encouraged or is it not ok?

So the question: Is it OK to ask my primary advisor if I can pick up a 2nd small project over the summer if it doesnt affect my work in the first lab? Is this encouraged or is it not ok?

I suppose it might depend on the program, but in mine it'd be perfectly fine to have a second side project over the summer. What's your program like? Do people tend to have just one project or do they collaborate with lots of people in different labs? You could ask a few advanced students, if you're not sure. My guess is that if you bring it up with your advisor as a possible opportunity and not a done deal and make it clear you're aware of your responsibilities in your advisor's lab, you should get a positive response, e.g. "I was thinking it would be good if I could get involved in a second side-project over the summer so I can get more experience and a stronger second LOR for when I apply to PhD programs in the fall, what do you think?".

I suppose it might depend on the program, but in mine it'd be perfectly fine to have a second side project over the summer. What's your program like? Do people tend to have just one project or do they collaborate with lots of people in different labs? You could ask a few advanced students, if you're not sure. My guess is that if you bring it up with your advisor as a possible opportunity and not a done deal and make it clear you're aware of your responsibilities in your advisor's lab, you should get a positive response, e.g. "I was thinking it would be good if I could get involved in a second side-project over the summer so I can get more experience and a stronger second LOR for when I apply to PhD programs in the fall, what do you think?".

Well I've never head of another student working in two different labs but most students in my program want to go into industry. I'm much more involved in research than most so it's hard to compare.

I know primary professor thinks very highly of professor B. Their research areas are very different but they collaborate whenever there is an opportunity to.

The PhD students also only have one project each? Or their side project is in the same lab as their main project? I guess either way I don't think it hurts to ask. You know, the worst thing that could happen is your advisor will say no. I don't think that putting it as chasing an opportunity to strengthen your research profile should cause you trouble. It shows enthusiasm and initiative even if it doesn't end up working out. 

The PhD students also only have one project each? Or their side project is in the same lab as their main project? I guess either way I don't think it hurts to ask. You know, the worst thing that could happen is your advisor will say no. I don't think that putting it as chasing an opportunity to strengthen your research profile should cause you trouble. It shows enthusiasm and initiative even if it doesn't end up working out. 

Well it seems to me that the phd students do rotations and then once they join a lab, they work on a variety of projects with their lab until they submit their dissertation proposal and then they focus on that mostly.

Thanks for the advice! If anyone else has opinions (even just saying they agree or disagree) then I am definitely open to hearing. Otherwise, I think that I will go with what you are saying... just ask his opinion on it. Since he will be the one paying me this summer then I will make sure he is ok with it before discussing it with the other professor.

Check with your advisor first. Some love collaboration, but it wouldn't be unheard of to get a response like, "You have an extra 10 hours per week? Maybe you should be spending more time in the lab."