Interview at DUCOM for Biotech MS, advice needed.

ahimsa000

Hello all,

So I've been asked to do a Skype interview for DUCOM (Drexel) for their Biotech MS program. I'm pretty nervous about this, as I have a low GPA (2.76) and I know they will ask about it. I also get really nervous when I talk about my research interests and experience. Somehow, I manage to get most jobs I interview for, but I have never had a school interview and I'm really worried I will do poorly. Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated. What kind of questions will they ask? I should definitely wear a blazer and blouse since they will see that, right (stupid question)? Thank you for your help! 

SR

The best advice ever got for these kind of things is, walk into the interview with the confidence that you already have the job/position.  I do not mean walk in there arrogant and condescending, rather with the confidence that not only do you deserve to be there but you deserve the position you're interviewing for.  If you do this you will find yourself not only less nervous, but more engaging (not to mention come across wayyyy better to the interviewer).

As for the GPA, you're right it will most likely come up, but you have the advantage of knowing this walking into the room.  Just be up front about it, it is one thing to try to spin your reasons for the GPA in a more positive light, it is another to lie, be aware of this.  You got an interview because someone in admissions saw something in your application that they like, you would not be granted an interview if they thought you couldn’t pass their curriculum.  So I would work on an explanation for your GPA (without making it too much of a sob-story) and just be up front about it, part of what they are seeing is how you would react to these kind of things.  Most likely they will bring it up, just be honest about it and try to put it into a positive light and move the conversation to a topic your more comfortable talking about.  Best case scenario is they don't bring it up.

Just be confident, and be prepared.  Good luck.

Hey scienceFAYM, thanks for your reply. I will definitely prepare and look up some questions that school interviews generally ask. This school has a lot of pros on my list, so I do hope my interview goes well. Thanks again.

SR

I had my interview a few hours ago...he said they would email me if I qualify for the second interview. Then they would give their decision by late May, early June. This is kind of late for graduate school programs, no? They didn't ask me about my GPA, instead it was mainly about questions I had about the program and my research. He really liked my research interests and everything I had published in the past, so I think I might get that second interview. I organized my choices, and I declined EVMS and Worcester, so my school list would be like this:

1.) JHU

2.) Drexel

3.) HES

What else could they possibly ask in a second interview? I hope I get it! The interview was so short! (20min) so I'm crossing my fingers I get a chance.