Advice on Biostats Programs for Fall 2015

Hello :) I realize it might be a bit early to start positing stats, but I am extremely interested in pursuing an education in biostatistics- so I am hoping someone can give me an advice as to what I need to do before the cycle starts to make myself more competitive. I have not taken the GRE yet. My main concern is my bad undergraduate math record- not only are there few Bs (including a B-!), I also feel like I did not really challenge myself. My undergraduate institution really encourages pursuing more of an applied math path, and I’ve taken a lot of biology, chemistry, physics and programming classes in addition to the math classes listed bellow.

I am currently registered for a class in Regression Analysis over the summer, and plan on taking Mathematical Statistics and Analysis of Variance in the Fall for starters. I would really appreciate any insight here as well- perhaps taking more proof based classes and doing well would be a better idea.

I think a PhD is probably unrealistic at the moment, even though I have some relevant research experience (my capstone project was ~ statistical genomics, Bayesian model for allele specific expression). Would you advice applying solely for masters programs first?  

Thank you!

Type of Student: Domestic White Female

Undergrad Institution: Big Public research school
Majors:
 Mathematics
GPA: 
3.74 overall

Courses: Calc 1-3 (A,B,A), DiffEq (A+), Real Analysis ( B ), Mathematical Structures (A), Numerical Analysis (A), Applied Computational Methods (A), Theory of Probability (A+), Advanced Linear Algebra (B-), Cryptography (A), Linear Algebra (A), Applied Stats I (A).

Research Experience: 3 years in a mathematical biology lab, mostly PDEs and rule-based modeling (2 poster presentations), 2 years in a pure biology lab, but did all the statistical analysis (1 poster presentation), 3 years in a bioinformatics/genomics lab (>5 poster presentations, 2 second author papers and 1 first author paper).

Relevant Jobs: Currently working as a bioinformatician for a research institute; Math tutor for various lower level math courses

Letters of Rec: I'll have to work on this. Currently I can have really good LOR from my current mentors (1: BME background; 2: Neuroscience background; 3: Mathematics background) but I guess I'll need more people with relevant math of stats background.

Research Interests: Statistical Genomics

Other: Proficient in Java, Perl, Python, R, Matlab, bash scripting. High school math enthusiast with few awards at the country level; competed up to the Olympiad.

Edited by viksa90

I wouldn't say a Ph.D program is out of the question by any stretch of the imagination. The B's in math courses may keep you from the top programs, but you have a stronger background than many (most?) applicants applying to Ph.D programs in the country, except for maybe those that get into Hopkins and Harvard. 

With your record, it would be perfectly reasonable to apply to a handful of biostat PhD programs ranked in the top 10, along with some ranked a bit lower. For the higher-ranked places, even if you are not admitted to the PhD you will almost certainly get into their Masters programs. Feel free to PM if you want more detailed advice.