Conditional Offer Problem!! HELP

cwasson

Hey guys thanks for your comments! As for asking the prof about extra assignments, the entire course is test based. I also asked prof for an extra credit assignment and he told me no, which is stupid. 

Sorry if I was unclear. I know OAC ended a while ago, but that's why 3 year degrees exist. On admission requirements, when they ask for an honours degree, in my experience, this designates a 4 year vs a 3 year degree, at least that's how it gets treated for BC applicants. We don't have this idea of maintaining a certain GPA to get honours out here. We have separate honours streams that you enrol in specifically and do an honors in your discipline rather than a major. If you needed an honours degree to get into grad school all of us out here who did double majors rather than a single honours would have a hard time getting in anywhere. It still seems worth clarifying with the particular schools about how they are using the phrase"honours degree"

Exactly. I did my undergraduate studies at Guelph, in Ontario, and here, all four year degrees are automatically honours degrees. General degrees are three year degrees.

For that reason, the OP should email the graduate program and ask them exact what they mean by honours. It may just mean a four year degree.

As for asking the prof about extra assignments, the entire course is test based. I also asked prof for an extra credit assignment and he told me no, which is stupid.

No, it isn't stupid. Why should the prof or the TA do more work because you screwed up an earlier test? Unless you have unusual circumstances (death in the family, severe illness or injury) there is no reason for the professor to go out of his or her way to help you go to graduate school. If the school puts conditions on you, and you can't meet them, that's on you, not your professor. Sucks, but that is what it is.

I understand that it sucks to pay extra money to retake the course. But have you considered that you are fortunate to have the option to retake the course in the summer? A lot of courses aren't offered in the summer and if you were in that situation this 56% would be included in your cumulative GPA and you'd need to take a completely different course in the summer in the hopes of raising your GPA. Not only would it be harder on you to learn brand new material, but because your 56% would be included in your overall GPA and you'd have to do really well on your course in the summer to compensate for it. By taking the exact same course in the summer, only the higher of the two grades will be included in the cumulative GPA (the lower grade will still be included on your transcript though) so even if you get a 60% or 70% you'll still get to keep your honours designation.

I'd take it as a lesson and move on. Next time, remember to drop your course if things are going really badly, even if you lose the money. Better than risking your chances of going to grad school.

Gnome, I am openly gay at my institution, just was not to my rents' that is what caused the controversy. So to answer your question--yes. 

Actuallyatree, I think my circumstances are unusual. They are circumstances not experienced but those who are not apart of a minority. But I agree, I was being a bit selfish in what I said. 

Jenste, yeah i'm very lucky! because my marks are super high the course doesn't have much effect on my GPA, so it's not really hurting my average that bad, it's just in relation to my degree :(, blahh. 

If you just ask the grad school what exactly they mean by honors (you don't even have to give your name if you call them) you might be saving yourself the stress and money of trying to retake the course. You might be fine with your current grade. Just call and ask. Stress later if it turns out your grade does kill your offer.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Gnome, I am openly gay at my institution, just was not to my rents' that is what caused the controversy. So to answer your question--yes. 

Actuallyatree, I think my circumstances are unusual. They are circumstances not experienced but those who are not apart of a minority. But I agree, I was being a bit selfish in what I said. 

Jenste, yeah i'm very lucky! because my marks are super high the course doesn't have much effect on my GPA, so it's not really hurting my average that bad, it's just in relation to my degree :(, blahh. 

I won't acknowledge applying to grad school as being an excuse since literally everyone on this website is in that same boat. 

I will, though, acknowledge coming out to your family. However, did that have a direct impact on your standing in the class? In other words, were you excelling in the class and then everything went downhill as soon as you came out to your family? 

If you were struggling before you came out, then there's no correlation. If coming out caused it, then I feel for you. 

This is what I wrote for my appeal: 

I am writing to appeal my degree (Honours Bachelor of Arts-Honours Double Major- Major Psychology, Major Kinesiology), as I have fallen short of meeting the requirements in my final semester of undergraduate study. I have received lower than a 60% in a kinesiology course (KIN 2236B), which will not allow me to receive my desired degree module. I am appealing this as I have been accepted with a conditional offer to attend Guelph University for their MSc in Neuroscience, a program that is contingent on receiving an Honours Degree. I believe that I have worked very efficiently and proactively throughout my undergraduate education and believe that I deserve my Honours designation. Furthermore, I have completed two independent study courses (PSYCH 3998F, 3999G) for which the workload is equivalent to that of an undergraduate thesis. Moreover, I believe that my inability to meet my desired degree module is a result of certain personal circumstances, which afflicted me this final semester of study:

1. Applying to graduate school is a known stressor and to this I concur. Over this past year I have been gathering reference letters, making academic connections, as well as making moving plans. In addition to this, it has been of great financial strain for me to submit these applications. All the stress of applying, of waiting, and of rejection have accumulated and taken a toll on my degree progress.

2. As a self identified member of the LGBT community I have faced obstacles that may not be faced by members outside of this minority group. After going through a tiresome breakup with my significant other I fell into a depressive state. I briefly turned to a therapist to talk about my problems; further, I turned to my family for support. However, this required me to “come out” or “self identify” to my family for which they did not already know; they were not fully accepting of my lifestyle, which put more stress on me. This depressive phase of my life I feel caused me to lose some motivation and preform less than optimal. This is potentially the key factor that caused me not to perform at my best.

I am in full understanding that all students are put under an immense amount of stress and pressure; however, I feel that I have been put under more stress in one semester than many do face. Therefore, I feel on the terms of compassion I should be granted my degree module. I have worked hard to be accepted to my graduate program and have a passion for research in the realm of the neurosciences. I wish to make discoveries and add content to the scientific community, which starts with me being able to attend my program in the Fall. Because I have one mark that does not meet criteria for my module due to the apparent stressors in my life that have befallen me in the past few months, I fear I will not be able to secure a fulfilling future.

I implore you to consider my appeal and hope that you are able to see that certain circumstances lead to my poor performance in my final semester of study. The “silver-lining” in the situation is that my hard work has qualified me to attend a graduate program, and I ask you to allow me to do this by conferring me an Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree. 

do you guys think it has a shot? 

Do you have anything like "Maymester", where you can take the class online and it lasts only for 30 days for the same 3 credits - in your school?

Did you read my post? I said that I did my undergrad at Guelph and here, honours normally refers to any four year degree. General degrees are three years. So email the graduate secretary and clarify what they mean by honours. You may be fine.

Also, I've never heard of a prof giving extra credit. Never. So the fact that yours won't give any doesn't surprise me.

If you ever have trouble during a semester in the future, the time to get help is when things are happening. Profs, counselling, and student services can generally help you if you are struggling during the sesester. They can't do a whole lot after the fact.

Good luck.

I'd like to give an update. So I messaged the graduate office and they said everything is fine! So I worried for nothing basically. Thanks for all of your advice.

You didn't worry for nothing! At least you made sure there's nothing wrong. Good to prevent a problem from happening even though it might not be a problem at the end :)