Nonprofit Management Programs with an International Bent

jaw17

I've been helping a close friend start the grad school process, and would welcome the board's wisdom on where she should apply. Following a BA from a top 25 LAC in Francophone cultural and colonial studies (with something like a 3.97 GPA), she spent 2.5 years in DC managing international conferences on microfinance, and recently moved to Africa to work on operations and marketing for an agriculture NGO. Her GREs are 680V, 740Q, and she's already taken the requisite introductory micro and macro courses at the USDA grad school.

She is looking for two key things out of a graduate program: 1) practical skills for nonprofit management (e.g. accounting, operations, probably some monitoring and evaluation, and ideally also some training-of-trainers instruction), and 2) more intellectually-oriented "content" courses, particularly with regard to international development, but also perhaps in literacy or other topical areas with both domestic and international applications. (Although she has not expressed as much, I suspect that she likes to see the direct impact of her work, and given her intention to live in the U.S. long-term, it wouldn't surprise me if she ultimately switches to a more domestic field.) I'm not sure how often those two exist under the same institutional roof, though, so I'm trying to help her identify programs with significant flexibility to take classes from multiple departments. Given her personality and preferences, I also imagine that she'd be happier in a smaller program with more individualized attention, rather than the huge classes at somewhere like SAIS, but that might be getting too picky.

Can anyone suggest good IR schools, MPA programs, business schools or even education degrees that might be well-suited to these interests? Some of the ones that have caught my eye so far are: the Princeton WWS MPA; the new Columbia SIPA MPA in Development Practice; the NYU Wagner MPA in nonprofit management or their MA in international education with a concentration in cross-cultural exchanges and training; the Indiana MPA with a nonprofit concentration; or the Georgetown MPP with a concentration in nonprofit leadership. Advice very, very welcome!

Anybody? (Bueller?) Someone recently steered me towards the Evans School of Public Affairs at the University of Washington, which frankly seems like it offers the exact mix my friend is looking for. Can anyone share opinions on that program in particular? Thanks.

Sorry for being rude,but is it just me or is anyone else wondering why your friend doesn't ask the forum herself?
Haha - I suppose that does seem sorta sketchy. The fact of the matter is that her internet connection in Africa is very flaky and makes it hard for her to search and post here...or to do much other online research, for that matter. Which makes the entire grad school application process just that much harder, as you can imagine, so she's asked me to help out. I shudder just to think about the implications for online applications.

Admittedly, I also get a kick out of living vicariously through the process, too - although my PhD program is perfect for my long-term aims, there's no question in my mind that I would enjoy an MPA program more. I get all excited and envious every time I look at a course catalog :)

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm not sure about much concerning IR-focused programs, you may want (your friend may want) to look into Carnegie Mellon's Heinz School. http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/index.aspx

It looks like I'm heading to Philly next year and will soon be referring to myself as a "Quaker" too. But, now that application season is over, there are only two programs to which I wish I had applied: Princeton WWS (likely would have been rejected) and Carnegie Mellon's Heinz. In my opinion, your friend should definitely apply to WWS, NYU, skip SIPA, look at the Johns Hopkins MPP -- if she wants a smaller cohort and a more hands-on experience -- and check out Heinz. I don't know enough about UW Evans to comment, but I have heard some great things about the school. Best of luck to you and your friend!

she might want to take a shot at stanford mba. It has all the practical business aspects she's looking for, and she'd be able to take a few classes outside of the business school classes for electives. It's a small program and supposedly fosters a lot of innovation and cooperation when it comes to social ventures. The program is extremely selective though. If she gets in, she could also do joint degree MPP for an additional year.

I hear Yale also has an mba with a social venture bent, but I don't really know anything about the program.

The School for International Training in Vermont has a graduate institute I've heard really good things about, and there are nonprofit management courses offered, I believe. Based on her interests and preferences, it sounds like it could be a good fit.