2015 Applicants Assemble!

ZiggyPhil

I did this yesterday. I'm curious: did you email Philosophy Department staff/faculty? Or did you email someone at the Graduate Admissions Office?   

don't email philosophy departments; they don't keep track of that stuff. It is the Graduate Admissions Office's job to handle that.

I guess I should say where I am: I've submitted my applications. I finished my sample a few weeks ago, and my statements of purpose a bit after that. I have a few letters that need submitting, but they have plenty of time :)

I'm in much of the same boat, except I have to wait until Dec 22 to send out most of my current transcripts so they will contain my Fall grades. 

I guess I should say where I am: I've submitted my applications. I finished my sample a few weeks ago, and my statements of purpose a bit after that. I have a few letters that need submitting, but they have plenty of time :)

Is that okay to submit applications before letter writers upload their files? If so, I think I'll start to submit mine. Right now, I'm just waiting for letters.

Same goes for UMass. I thought it might be because they're state schools or something, but UConn, Berkeley, and UCLA all use the same application service as Harvard and USC. 

The strangest part about Rutgers is that you can only submit your supporting materials after you've submitted the application itself. You pay, submit the app, and then have to wait 24 hours to upload your writing sample!

Their application page looks like it was made in the 80s.

Ohio State's is equally terrible. At some point in the past, they added an additional form for supplemental materials, CV, transcripts, etc, but did not bother to mention this on the application. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not so bad: some schools might get back to us in late February!

Yes, from what I gathered by looking at previous years statistics, the schools I'm applying to have reached out to students in late February. I guess I'll take my free time to read some philosophy/literature and watch movies/series that were on the waitlist for the past few months.

I drank a lot of beer and whiskey last spring. A WHOLE LOT.

But, but, it was time to ( D ^ B ), not ( D v B ). What about the books?

Kidding of course - though I do find that drinking goes well with talking philosophy, but not so much reading it. 

Edited by ZiggyPhil

But, but, it was time to ( D ^ B ), not ( D v B ). What about the books?

Kidding of course - though I do find that drinking goes well with talking philosophy, but not so much reading it. 

I guess I probably read some stuff, too. I don't really remember. Too much beer and whiskey.

Hi folks. I was an applicant last year and just wanted to offer one piece of advice that might seem obvious, but is sometimes overlooked. Try to submit your applications a few days in advance of the deadlines. Then after a day or so, go back, with fresh eyes and check the status of each application---make sure it was submitted, that the fee was paid and that there are no materials missing. When handling a large volume of applications, it's easy to miss a click here, an upload there, etc. Obviously the costs of such small mistakes is anything but minor. Also, sometimes there are issues on the other end (the grad programs might be missing materials that you submitted). 

I had both things happen to me last year. I somehow neglected to actually submit my application (though I submitted the payment for it) for one of the programs. In fact, this is the program that I am currently attending! I happened to be reviewing all of my applications when I found this out and nearly flipped out because the deadline had already passed. Fortunately, they were nice enough to work with me. There was also a glitch with another program's application site such that it showed that I had uploaded my materials, but they were not accessible to the ad comm (and I couldn't see them). They didn't seek me out about this, I just happened to notice it while rechecking my apps---fortunately, they also worked with me and I ended having to send my WS directly to the admin. So apply early and recheck. Best of luck! 

Edited by Hopephily

I've read these forums enough now that it's probably time to say hi. A quick intro:

- I've been out of school for quite some time. (About 7.5 years.) I started writing a book, started reading philosophy again, fell into an abyss... and now here I am. (Kidding. I was always in an abyss.)

- GRE: 168 V, 158 Q, 4.0 AW. (Shocked at the writing, received today. C'est la vie. I'd also like to thank ETS for making me study high school math after a million years.)

- Looking at primarily continental programs. I have a decent idea of my list, but it could still change.

- While I had a minor's worth of philosophy credits, my actual minor was in history and my major was in film.

We shall see where this all goes. In any case, thank you to applicants past and present for sharing your stories! I am always all for that.

Welcome, FellowSufferer! 

And I wouldn't worry about your AW. You're sending in a writing sample—ad coms probably think that's a better indicator of writing ability than some essay from a standardized test.