Epidemiology or Public Policy

breezyisaa

I'm interested pursuing Public Health or Epidemiology, but I'm wondering if public policy is a better fit for my goals.  Here's my background:

BA Social Science from a middling public university

GPA 3.43 overall, final two yrs 3.74

1st practice GRE: v 162 q 150 (I stopped half way through this section since I just need to study)

Graduated early at age 20 and worked in public colleges and universities for 8 yrs

6 yrs as Assistant Program Director of research project of public university. Researched drug, violence, and adjudication prevention and interventions strategies for at-risk youth, as well as health interventions. I managed grants from DHHS, DOE, OJJDP, as well as state and private grants.

2 yrs as Signing Official with UC Office of Research.  Reviewed and approved NIH and NSF grants for Emergency Med, Otolaryngology, Ophthalmology, and Surgery dept's.

What I'd like to do is either implement/advocate health services for under-served populations within government (city or state level) or manage health intervention research projects, with a focus on social influences.  Based on my background and goals, are there are any programs you suggest looking at? I'm thinking epidemiology is the route that leaves the most options open.  What are your thoughts?

Edited by breezyisaa

I believe there are health services and public policy programs out there that would be the most ideal. I don't think epi is a good fit, in my opinion. Also, social and behavioral sciences might also work. 

I agree with the above post. I currently work in health services research, which sounds most like what you want to do. Most of our researchers have a degree in health policy/health services research. However that doesn't mean you can't get to where you want in your career with epi. In my organization for example, some people do come from other educational backgrounds but we screen them very heavily to make sure they have health services experience and interest.

So, I also think a health policy/services degree would be ideal. A social/behavioral degree could work too, but I've been warned those degree holders have a slightly harder time getting jobs. The advice given to me was to try and get a RA or other experience in the area you want as that ultimately will give you the experience you need no matter the exact public health degree you choose.

Good luck!

Well thank you to you both.  That makes sense.  I guess the thing that made me think Epi is that I've been working in environments where the less your education is a specific and traditional science (e.g., biology, psychology), the less opportunity you have.  I wanted to get away from anything perceived as 'squishy' or a soft science.  Time and time again, I've seen people with basic science degrees waltz into Administration and management acts like this person is a genius and a model for the rest of us, whether the person is skilled in administration or not.  The extreme example is a nurse who heads the Office of Research where I worked and while she's super talented at brown nosing her boss, all the physicians hate her and the department is a mess primarily because she knows absolutely nothing about grants.  Basically there's a lot of emphasis placed on degrees in universities, not surprisingly.  While my primary reason for pursuing a grad degree is that I want to do the work that interests me, there is also a part of me that doesn't really want to be viewed as the glorified secratary.  So that's part of my reasoning.  However, health services research, public health, or even public policy degrees are probably better fits for what I want to do.  Thanks for the reminder!!

Edited by breezyisaa

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I think that a degree in epidemiology would prepare you very well for the latter.  Epidemiologists often conduct research on and develop health interventions - especially if they are county or state wide - and often go on to administer them.  A health services research degree may work better for the former, but you could that with an MPH in epi, too.  I think epi has the broader set of opportunities.