CMU SV or UCSB

xzqzx

I  am an EE student who has little knowledge background of computer science or software engineering, but I'd like to switch to that. I plan to work after acquiring my M.S. degree, so should I go to CMU's silicon valley campus (ECE program) to learn while training in many projects or should I go to ucsb (Computer E program) to start from the very basic? And speaking of cs or software, CMU‘s reputation is just better. Seems really a tough choice for me. Would anyone offer me some advice?

Can you clarify why you want to go to UCSB? Seems like you prefer CMU.

Also, are you sure CMU's Silicon Valley location can offer the same amenities as UCSB? Just a question... I've never been on a satellite campus.

Can you clarify why you want to go to UCSB? Seems like you prefer CMU.

Also, are you sure CMU's Silicon Valley location can offer the same amenities as UCSB? Just a question... I've never been on a satellite campus.

Hi, as you've mentioned, UCSB only has one campus. I also feel weird going to a satellite campus. And UCSB is surely better in speak of facilities and amenities. I am alien, so I don't know how the IT guys in the USA think of computer science or software engineering in UCSB. As we know CMU wins hands down in CS related areas, and I am afraid if UCSB is not as reputable in getting me a job in software.

I've did some research and I can understand your predicament. CMU is ranked #1 for computer science and UCSB is ranked #34. CMU also has a location in the Silicon Valley, which is another great advantage. However, CMU's Silicon Valley campus is new (only founded in 2002) and it seems like CMU's Silicon Valley campus mainly attracts working professionals who want to go back to school part-time for a degree (although I haven't found any hard evidence to support this).

I am not SE, CS or an IT professional... but if my opinion means anything, I'd lean toward UCSB. As a California native, UCSB has a reputation of being a good school all-around, even if they're not famous for CS/EE. UCSB's amenities might outrank any prestige that comes with CMU's name.

I would suggest reposting your question in the CS GradCafe page for better opinions :)

I've did some research and I can understand your predicament. CMU is ranked #1 for computer science and UCSB is ranked #34. CMU also has a location in the Silicon Valley, which is another great advantage. However, CMU's Silicon Valley campus is new (only founded in 2002) and it seems like CMU's Silicon Valley campus mainly attracts working professionals who want to go back to school part-time for a degree (although I haven't found any hard evidence to support this).

I am not SE, CS or an IT professional... but if my opinion means anything, I'd lean toward UCSB. As a California native, UCSB has a reputation of being a good school all-around, even if they're not famous for CS/EE. UCSB's amenities might outrank any prestige that comes with CMU's name.

I would suggest reposting your question in the CS GradCafe page for better opinions :)

Thanks for sharing what natives think of UCSB!