MPH Funding?

My main goal is to get into a psychology PhD program to study health behavior promotion/disease prevention. I've been thinking about applying to MPH programs that have behavioral science tracks as well, but since I come from psychology, I don't know much about the funding/financial burden of MPH programs. I know that most psychology master's aren't very well-funded. What about MPH? About the same, better, maybe worse? Of course I know this varies from program to program, but I'm just curious about what people here have experienced just to get me started. Thanks!

Each program is different, I'm going to a program that only pays their research assistants part-time and not above $9.50 and they don't have teaching assistantships. However, my friend is in a program where her TA is paying her tuition and giving her a stipend. I would expect to take out loans though, because unless you go to a state university and get in-state it will be very expensive. 

Each program is different, I'm going to a program that only pays their research assistants part-time and not above $9.50 and they don't have teaching assistantships. However, my friend is in a program where her TA is paying her tuition and giving her a stipend. I would expect to take out loans though, because unless you go to a state university and get in-state it will be very expensive.

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm attending a pretty expensive school for undergrad so finances are a huge factor in my grad school choices. PhD is still my top choice, but I'd feel strange not applying to something as a back up. So I suppose I will look into well-funded/cheap programs. I know there is a MPH at a state school in the next city over from where I live, but I don't think the program focus is what I'm looking for. Would have been a nice plan to live at home and save some money, oh well! Thanks again.

where are you going?

The MPH is like many other professional masters degrees in that funding is rare. Accredited schools of public health generally have PhD students to support, so their money will go there first. Accredited programs (where the MPH only is accredited by CEPH, and is usually housed in some other department like a school of medicine rather than a dedicated school of public health) often aren't large enough to have a lot of funding for students. Also, for professional degrees there is more of an expectation that you will go back into the job market after the degree (thus paying off the debt with your new better salary), or that you are still working and your employer is helping pay for the degree. Professional masters degrees are also money makers for schools-- they aren't going around discounting them.

You can do what the professionals in these programs do, finding a related job that will reimburse part of your tuition (and if the job is related, it may also improve your qualifications itself) or working for a couple of years between MPH and PhD. Many excellent MPH programs are public, for example University of Minnesota - Twin Cities is a top program and claims to have one of the lowest differentials between in-state and out-of-state tuition rates.

I haven't started my program yet, so I can't confirm this, but I was also told by people I reached out to when applying that it is possible to network into research and teaching assistant jobs once you arrive-- perhaps by getting to know a professor well your first year and arranging to help them in your second year. You may also be able to TA in a related department or the area you did your undergrad degree in.

If you do decide to borrow to do an MPH, a job that supports you to live frugally may make it possible for you to borrow only tuition (rather than tuition + cost of livinig estimate). There is a good thread on earning extra income going right now on the "Officially Grads" board. You could also look into paying off your student loan interest as it accrues monthly, so it can't capitalize and you will only owe the principal once you start working. Both of these approaches, plus looking at affordable public schools, will help limit your debt if you decide to do an MPH.

The MPH is like many other professional masters degrees in that funding is rare. Accredited schools of public health generally have PhD students to support, so their money will go there first. Accredited programs (where the MPH only is accredited by CEPH, and is usually housed in some other department like a school of medicine rather than a dedicated school of public health) often aren't large enough to have a lot of funding for students. Also, for professional degrees there is more of an expectation that you will go back into the job market after the degree (thus paying off the debt with your new better salary), or that you are still working and your employer is helping pay for the degree. Professional masters degrees are also money makers for schools-- they aren't going around discounting them.

You can do what the professionals in these programs do, finding a related job that will reimburse part of your tuition (and if the job is related, it may also improve your qualifications itself) or working for a couple of years between MPH and PhD. Many excellent MPH programs are public, for example University of Minnesota - Twin Cities is a top program and claims to have one of the lowest differentials between in-state and out-of-state tuition rates.

I haven't started my program yet, so I can't confirm this, but I was also told by people I reached out to when applying that it is possible to network into research and teaching assistant jobs once you arrive-- perhaps by getting to know a professor well your first year and arranging to help them in your second year. You may also be able to TA in a related department or the area you did your undergrad degree in.

If you do decide to borrow to do an MPH, a job that supports you to live frugally may make it possible for you to borrow only tuition (rather than tuition + cost of livinig estimate). There is a good thread on earning extra income going right now on the "Officially Grads" board. You could also look into paying off your student loan interest as it accrues monthly, so it can't capitalize and you will only owe the principal once you start working. Both of these approaches, plus looking at affordable public schools, will help limit your debt if you decide to do an MPH.

Thanks very much! Looks like MPH would be a good idea if a PhD rejection led me into the workforce. I'm currently paying my monthly loan interest for my undergrad degree. It's hard sometimes, but definitely worth it. Man do I hate money...!